Thread: Lycoming O-360 Oil Leak

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lycoming O-360 Oil Leak

Hi Folks,

My A&P and especially I have a perplexing oil leak in the O-360 engine for my Cherokee. I am hoping that somebody out there has experienced this and found a remedy short of rebuilding the engine. Anyway, this leak appears to be coming from the left side of the engine case at the thread and bolt of the forward engine through-stud. In the Lycoming parts manual it is part # 76220.

What is happening is that when the engine is run hot, especially on the ground in the summer, oil will start weeping out the threaded end of that bolt. My A&P and I degreased the engine and determined that is the source. What he has tried so far is to remove the stud, clean it and replace it using an additional amount of sealant to try to stop the weeping. This worked for about 2 hours and then it came back again yesterday. Has anybody heard of this before and if so I would sure appreciate any help in getting this eliminated. It does not appear to be a serious leak but is quite annoying as it shows up on the engine baffle and I had a passenger tell me a couple of months ago "is that normal?" I had to tell him in an embarrassing tone that it was not. Thanks so much for listening and your anticipated response.

George
    Last edited by N15642; 09-09-2012 at 10:57 AM. Reason: typo