Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AIM changes - sorting it out

Well said Wes.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe LaMantia View Post
    Does anybody know how far a ground based xponder signal can actually be received? I assume it's line of sight. Thanks Bob for the technology update, I was hoping this new AIM procedure wasn't the result of some internal communication glitch by the FAA. Never thought about putting in the wrong code, but then I'm pretty much lock into 1200.

Joe
    How far? When I was flying helos out in the Gulf of Mexico, I regularly observed the xpndr reply light flashing on the deck of a vessel. Less than 100 feet msl, 100 NM south of the coast and snuggled up to the n. side of the vessel's steel structure.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Dingley; 09-09-2012 at 02:15 PM.

Y'all are pretty much on it. I've been "reminded" by Ground Control to check the Transponder (TXP) is "Oscar November" at both Anchorage, AK and Louisville, KY when I called for taxi at work (Boeing 7x7). We don't have an "OFF" position on the TXP, and we normally put it in "ALT RPT" position but not TA or TA/RA because we don't want to look at all that clutter until we get near the runway. When I go out to fly the ol' 172 Heavy I follow the checklist it has, which is put the TXP on "ALT" at the runway end for departure.

All of the air carrier size birds I've flown have both a red beacon and white strobes, we never use the strobes on the ground unless crossing an active runway (think about it, I don't want to get hit). Use common sense. If (when?) I get my Cavalier done, it will probably have a system similar to the airliner, because I think that is the safest way to go, red beacon when the engine is running, strobes for in flight, etc. Recognition lights (forward facing white lights like landing lights) are also a good thing when approaching an airport, 'cause if somebody can see them, it means you are headed for them! Our policy at work is landing lights on below 18,000' MSL. Again, you don't need your lights on all the time (those d@mn bulbs are expensive) but use your judgement (pattern ops, busy controlled field, etc.)

Remember also that the AIM is not regulatory, it is just the FAA's recommended way of doing things. Remember too that no amount of lights can protect you from some fool entering the pattern at Warp 9 in a Bonanza/Glasair/Swearingen/Eclipse/Etc, keep looking around like you are flying at night with no lights at all, i.e. invisible!!! Sometimes paranoia can serve you well.

Jim
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem