Thread: Android and Aviation

Goggles Android and Aviation

Ok,

I thought there needed to be a thread where we can discuss Android Applications and Aviation.

--
    Michael

I'm currently using an Android Smart Phone and and Apple iPad. I've enjoyed using the iPad in the cockpit and I'm considering moving to an Android Tablet in the future. The iPAD apps that I've used are WingX, ForeFlight, and SkyChart Pro. There are others but those are the one's I've stuck with. I'm also using MyFlightBook on both the PC, iPad, and Android.

For the Android it looks like two are gaining momentum.

Naviator by 123West http://www.naviatorapp.com/ and Aviation Maps by Avilution http://www.avilution.com/

I've also used Raindar, MyFlightBook, and various Aviation Weather Apps.

What is everyone else using Aviation-wise on your Android Tablets and Smart phones?

--
    Michael

The Navigator website says the app is free, but doesn't tell you what the subscription costs... same for Avilution.

I've been using OpenFlightMap and non aviation specific weather apps on my android phone. OTOH, my brother in law is putting an ipad on his panel as the primary navigation tool (with "real" aviation backup instruments, of course) in his RV-8.

We have some RV guys in our chapter who use a 7 inch samsung galaxy tablet with the avilution app. They really like it and the 7 inch tablet doesn't get in the way of the stick.

All the forums seem to have this thread. I'd be interested in your opinions on some of the "permissions" many of these apps require. Like access to all your contacts....what's that all about?

Quote Originally Posted by SmittysRV View Post
    We have some RV guys in our chapter who use a 7 inch samsung galaxy tablet with the avilution app. They really like it and the 7 inch tablet doesn't get in the way of the stick.
    samsung galaxy II 7" and 10" screens - how do they show up in a canopy aircraft? how about nexus 7? usable, marginal? i've used an ipad3 in canopy aircraft, it showed up fine until we got the wrong sun angle on it (?) and it heated up, shut down.

thanks

There are a couple of the more "well-known" players that have recently released Android versions of their applications. First being AnywhereMap with "AnywhereMap Freedom", and then Garmin with "Garmin Pilot". And they're both available on iOS as well. I'm personally interested in seeing learning about AnywhereMap Freedom from folks who have used it.

Myself, I'm a big fan of Foreflight, but it's not Android aware, and a 10" iPad doesn't work well in my plane. So I'm happy to see some variety coming out for Android where several 7" models are available (Rumored 7" iPad not withstanding).

~Chris
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

I've just bought a Nexus 7 for use with xcsoar in my glider, I'll report back on how the screen does in the sun.

I am running WingX on my iPad, but one of my flying friends at work is using 'Naviator'. While 'Naviator' has a way to go to catch up to WingX, it's pretty good. If I was running an Android based tablet, it would certainly be on my app list to evaluate.
    Last edited by MickYoumans; 09-10-2012 at 12:16 PM.

I run Avilution's AviationMaps app on my Acer Iconia A500 10.1" Tablet and my HTC Thunderbolt smart phone and love it - waiting on geo-referenced approach plates but that is about it - it rocks. Also has an X-Plane link if you want to drive it from X-Plane and practice using it while 'flying'.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right.

EAA Chapter 14, IAC Chapter 36

http://acrogimp.wordpress.com/