Thread: Looking for advice on lightweight starter and battery for Zodiac HDS

Question Looking for advice on lightweight starter and battery for Zodiac HDS

My current HDS has a HUGE starter, and a reasonably big battery. I would like to replace them with the lightest substitutes possible, but also want to make sure that they are up to the task. The engine is a Continental O-200, 100HP.

I am considering the Concorde RG-12LSA for my battery; does anyone know what the minimum CCA and whatnot I need for the Continental? I have even heard from some that you can use a motorcycle battery; does this sound kosher?

As far as the starter goes, I'm not exactly sure which ones are compatible and/or appropriate for the engine and aircraft. Any insight from y'all would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Look at B&C Specialty for a ligher starter. They have one approved for the O-200 and B&C equipment is the highest quality out there.

For a battery, the one that you quoted might be the lightest that is approved. The Odyssey PC680, or its FAA approved twin the SBS J-16, is 15lbs.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS