Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where is Sport Aviation going?

Where is Sport Aviation going?

Is it just me or have other long time EAA'ers wondered about Mr. McClellan's writings in Sport Aviation? I feel certain that Mr. McClellan is a very competent editor and aviation journalist, but his choice of subjects for his articles in Sport Aviation leaves me somewhat puzzled. IFR procedures, business jets, turboprop singles which maybe 1% of the current membership can afford..?!?
    Are we looking at an attempt to turn Sport Aviation - and maybe EAA - away from the homebuilder/restorer kind of guy and towards the segment that flies mainly IFR, or is Mr. McClellan just trying to educate the ignorant EAA'ers and turn us towards his self-confessed persuasion: A mainly IFR kind of pilot...?

Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Welcome to the "new and improved" Sport Aviation.

Have you guys seen the new Experimenter on-line magazine? Just came out and looks great, to me anyway.

http://experimenter.epubxp.com/t/25378

Malcolm Morrison

I received the Sept issue of SA this past Thursday and I've read several articles. I'm a "low and slow" club flyer and I tend to read articles that are geared in that direction. My favorite this month was Brady Lanes' coverage of the Cub Fly-in from Hartford, Wi to OSH. I've read the RV-14 story, and Jeff Skiles story on flying his Waco. As a result of this thread I read Mac's article on Diesel Aircraft Engines and ADS-B, well written and informative. Our club Archer is still running the radios put in at the factory in 1976. A few months ago I brought up the possibility of replacing the nbr 1 with a Garmin 430 and pulling the Fly Buddy II (GPS) out and installing it in our club TriPacer. Our club treasurer went to AirVenture this year and spent some time looking through all the avionics booths. We had a discussion on the upgrade and decided to wait until the ADS-B system "shakes out a bit". Our Archer has about 1700 Hrs on the engine SMOH, maybe upgrading it to a Continental 180HP diesel would be something to consider when the time comes to overhaul. So even though I fly old airplanes "low and slow" Mac's article was helpful and interesting, he only used 2 and half pages in a 128 page publication, that's 1.9%. There were 57 ad's covering page 127 listed in SA, not all take up a whole page, but do we actually read all those ads? Some members read SA cover to cover, generally I don't, but pick and choose based on interest, and more importantly time available to actually sit down and read. I get AOPA Pilot each month as well, lots of overlap in subject matter, but again I pick and choose. I've been getting both for the last 20 years or so and I think there both good values. I think we have room for Mac's subjects even if we don't always read what he writes. Same goes for the rest of the SA contributors, overall a very good publication that keeps me interested and involved in aviation when I'm not flying.

Joe

Neal Wilford was my favorite Sport Aviation contributor. He did a nice article a few years ago called "doing more with less".Wilford should resubmit his latest article to Mary Jones for the new EAA Experimenter digital magazine.

Its different I will give you that. Some articles I enjoy ( anything well done on homebuilts or antiques ), some dont get a second glance ( written for the pilot, not the enthusiast, there is a difference ), and some are downright scary ( the so called "maintenance" articles, especially the last couple issues ). SA is not nearly as technical as it used to be, and it seems its authors and perhaps majority of the readership are not as well.

As the people who manage EAA Publications have said here, they are finishing up a long transition process. At first, I liked the SA format change. Then the 2nd phase was the content change to appeal to a wider GA audience. I think I had the concern, like many other people, that the do-it-yourself interests were getting squeezed out. Now that the 3rd phase of reintroducing Experimenter has taken place, I like the level of information we're getting. I hope the Experimenter content will become searchable like the SA content is. Some people had said it was difficult getting articles they submitted published in SA. I would think the members with homebuilding interests could get material published in Experimenter​ much easier.

Sad Sport Aviation Magazine

I've been an EAA member since the 60's and am a lifetime member. Personally, I do NOT like what Sport Aviation magazine has become. It reminds me too much of magazines like Flying and AOPA Pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Warner View Post
    I've been an EAA member since the 60's and am a lifetime member. Personally, I do NOT like what Sport Aviation magazine has become. It reminds me too much of magazines like Flying and AOPA Pilot.
    I agree 100%. But as long as the current method of proxy voting continues, the membership has no voice in the direction of the Experimental Aviation Association.