Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TSA at SMALL AIRPORTS, Detaining Senators in Small PRIVATE PLANES

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Baughman View Post
    Unfortunately, that's not the point. There are plenty of other forums around the great big ol' Internet where you can write about politics to your heart's content. Just don't do it here. Government relations with the aviation community is certainly a valid topic, but this particular topic jumped ship when it shifted from the TSA and it's possible harassment of a U.S. Congressman to opinions about which way a particular newspaper leans politically. As soon as the words "liberal" and "conservative" are bandied about, the discussion has moved away from useful information to opinions.

In my experience, adults inevitably quite acting like adults when it comes to discussions about politics and religion, so it's best just to avoid those conversations altogether when it comes to special interest forums such as this one. As I say, as long as you can leave out political statements condemning one side or the other, discussions about government and its role in aviation are certainly valid. Making sweeping statements about "liberals" or "conservatives" crosses the line.

Zack

PS: I have no problems with Bonanzas or gliders!
    Thank you, Zack.

It's gonna be a long 80 some days...
    Anxiety is nature's way of telling you that you've already goofed up.

Well if we read the starting thread it is an angry "political" rant and maybe Zack should have closed it before we all got involved. I don't think anyone has been offended and yes Zack does have the power to shut it off whenever. I would respond to Zack by noting that EAA as an organization has taken political positions in areas that impact it's members i.e. user fees for example. AOPA is the primary Aviation lobby group and covers a broader range of issues affecting all segments of aviation. The TSA topic is really all about the airlines, and maybe "Pilot" whoever he is should post his thread on an AOPA blog?

No foul, no penalty!

Joe

I'm rather adverse to closing threads. I'd rather that the users of this forum self regulate with some guidance from the moderators. Discussions about TFRs, the TSA, body scanners, etc., can all be had without people getting their political digs in. Bill seems to think I am picking on him, but I was really addressing everyone.

As for EAA being political - the organization takes positions on policies that impact aviation. It doesn't matter if those policies were created by bi-partisan committees or strictly along party lines. We try to do what is right for aviation and aviators, regardless of political persuasion. As a non-profit 501C(3) organization, EAA HAS to be apolitical. There is some good info about that here: http://masspta.org/index.php?option=...d=11&Itemid=26

In any case, "Pilot," I apologize for this severe thread drift. To everyone else, feel free to discuss policy as much as you would like, but please leave the political comments and digs out of it. If you can't figure out a way to have that discussion without injecting politics into it, I would suggest not having the discussion at all. I'd prefer that the only "right wing" or "left wing" that gets mentioned around here have something to do with airplanes.

Zack, not thinking you are "picking on me", however I assume that much of your caution post was in response to what I wrote and THE KEY POINT I AM MAKING IS THAT I DID NOT WRITE THE WORDS THAT YOU ATTRIBUTED TO ME.

I don't see the whiners complaining about posts by other people for the most part, and trying, with some success to get Zack to do their dirty work by censoring a topic or post.

Maybe others don't share my feeling on this point, but sometimes this forum can get mundane and pretty flat. How many days can you really hold interest on a topic like if water at EAA cost $2 or $3?

I try to write about things that interest me or that I think are important or are ones that I have some experience with, like learnig to fly and that I think others might be interested in. And sometimes I try to add a little humor which in my opinion most of us, and the world and this forum really need more of.

I get enough bilge water for some of the things that I do write, without having words put in my mouth as it were that are not mine.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 09-05-2012 at 09:21 AM.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Zack, not thinking you are "picking on me", however I assume that much of your caution post was in response to what I wrote and THE KEY POINT I AM MAKING IS THAT I DID NOT WRITE THE WORDS THAT YOU ATTRIBUTED TO ME.
    Bill, Zack didn't put words in your mouth. He wasn't even addressing you specifically - his original comment was in response to Joe's post about "conservatives." The fact that you posted in between (most likely just a question of timing) is immaterial. As for the follow-up discussion, the same holds true - he was addressing the discussion as a whole. At no point did he say "Bill, you said liberal and conservative."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Maybe others don't share my feeling on this point, but sometimes this forum can get mundane and pretty flat. How many days can you really hold interest on a topic like if water at EAA cost $2 or $3?
    No argument there, whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Baughman View Post
    I'm rather adverse to closing threads. I'd rather that the users of this forum self regulate with some guidance from the moderators. Discussions about TFRs, the TSA, body scanners, etc., can all be had without people getting their political digs in. Bill seems to think I am picking on him, but I was really addressing everyone.

As for EAA being political - the organization takes positions on policies that impact aviation. It doesn't matter if those policies were created by bi-partisan committees or strictly along party lines. We try to do what is right for aviation and aviators, regardless of political persuasion. As a non-profit 501C(3) organization, EAA HAS to be apolitical. There is some good info about that here: http://masspta.org/index.php?option=...d=11&Itemid=26

In any case, "Pilot," I apologize for this severe thread drift. To everyone else, feel free to discuss policy as much as you would like, but please leave the political comments and digs out of it. If you can't figure out a way to have that discussion without injecting politics into it, I would suggest not having the discussion at all. I'd prefer that the only "right wing" or "left wing" that gets mentioned around here have something to do with airplanes.
    I couldn't have said it better myself!

Now then... does anyone have anything to say that's actually related to the topic? I've been looking around, and haven't found any additional information about the Ron Paul / TSA incident at Clearwater. Has this happened elsewhere? Have any of you ever been in a similar situation? If the TSA is starting to show up and screen GA aircraft, that's obviously a lot more important than a lot of the rest of the discussion that's gone on in this thread.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Zack,

I get your point. I think most of us when talking to friends in hangers at our home base, may in fact stray off "props and flaps" to a whole array of subjects including politics. EAA like any effective group must lobby both sides of the political aisle to be effective. Nothing is gained by making someone angry. Maybe we should consider changing the name of this forum form Hanger Talk to Aviation Talk, that might help in keeping the conversations away from controversy? I for one am not upset with anyone on this thread and I hope I didn't offend anyone with my comments. I had a very unpleasant experience with TSA in Albuquerque this past spring and it's a hot button with me. I can sympathize with "Pilot" regarding his angry incon.

Joe

"Now then... does anyone have anything to say that's actually related to the topic?"

yes.

"Was there a TFR in place?"

yes.

"...could only find reports from very right wing small origanizations, which have an obvious bias.
    I saw nothing on CNN , NBC, etc. Do you have any source from a mainstream newspaper or tv outlet?"

now that's pertinent. since it did happen, why wasn't it reported?

perhaps because with the TFR in place, it SHOULD have happened to ANYONE who wanted to fly in the TFR airspace? thus although true, it's not newsworthy.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Here's the Flight Advisory from the FAA with details on the TFR:

http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/medi...t_Advisory.pdf

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

That's alot of stuff! I think you are much better off leaving the plane in the hanger. The question I have is, are they jacking everyone up or are they targeting a select few.
    Last edited by RV8505; 09-05-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Neighbor called flight service today at 1300 (Local). Was told the DNC TFR (which overlies our field) starts at 1500.
    At 1305, a revised TFR is issued moving the start time up to 1415.
    At 1418 neighbor departs.
    At 1430, Homeland Security calls me. Wants to know who just departed. I honestly don't know, I'm at the hardware store down the street.
    Shortly thereafter neighbor's Garmin/XM Weather shows new TFR and he boogies directly to the nearest edge of the TFR.
    By the time he lands they're already calling his destination with his type and color.
    Fortunately when he calls them, they decide he's done as best he could and aren't pursuing it.

Ouch.