Thread: All most completly new to air plane and everything- Please Help!

Shocked All most completly new to air plane and everything- Please Help!

Ok so like I said above I know very little about airplanes, so I have a question about how they name an airplane, for example the plane B-35... what does the B stand for and how about the 35, does that represent anything in particular? also if someone could tell me some general term I should know that would be great. My goal one day is to become a pilot! So thank you, and know that however you help me I am very serious about learning it. Please fill free to give me a link to a page that you think will be helpful, again thank you, and God Bless!
    Last edited by aerocowgirl; 06-15-2013 at 01:04 PM.

There's no one magical formula for figuring out how model numbers came about for various planes. It really just depends on the manufacturer for the most part. As far as military designations, that kinda depends on what policies were in effect when the plane was introduced to the fleet.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

B is usually a bomber, f- fighter, A -attack, c - cargo, h - helicopter, etc, hope this helps.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Banned
    For older military aircraft(20's,30's, 40's), P= Pursuit, T=Trainer. For civilian aircraft, the letter usually refers to the name of the designer or owner of the company--e.g. C=Cessna, P=Piper, S=Sikorsky. The most famous and ubiquitous civilian airplane, the Piper Cub J3(and subsequent J designations) was named after the designer and the 3 referred to his 3rd design.

Welcome to the EAA Forums Aerocowgirl. We have a great and growing community here, and we're happy to have you join us. You might find this link useful regarding aircraft designations as they relate to military aircraft in particular: http://www.wikihow.com/Understand-US...t-Designations

Cheers,
    Zack

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    Some additional WWII USAAF

PT primary trainer
    BT basic trainer
    AT Advance trainer
    F photo recon
    O observation
    L liaison
    B bomber
    P pursuit
    A attack
    C cargo
    UC utility/cargo

Navy designations were infinitely more complicated.

First letter or two was primary designation with subsequent being the number of designs by said manufacturer and the last letter (before any dash model submariners) was a code for the manufacturer which may or may not have any correlation to the manufacturer's company name.

F3F. Fighter, fighter design #3 the Navy bought. The last F was the code for Grumman
    F4F
    F6F
    F7F
    F8F these were all Grumman fighter aircraft.

F4U Fighter, fourth design by Vought Aircraft

F2A Fighter, second fighter design type by Brewster Aircraft

SBD. S=Scout, B=Dive bomber, D=Douglas aircraft

TBF. TB=Torpedo bomber, F=Grumman

TBD Torpedo Bomber built by Douglass

SB2C S=Scout, B=Dive bomber, 2=Second Scout/bomber design for the Navy from C=Curtiss aircraft

SNJ SN= Trainer, J=North American Aviation

JRC Personnel Transport built by Cessna

JRB Personnel/Cargo by Beech Aircraft

PBY Patrol Bomber built by Consolidated Aircraft
    PB4Y fourth
    SNV SN= Trainer, V=Vultee Aircraft (V later was used for Lockheed, replacing O)

PBJ Patrol Bomber, by North American Aviation...same as Army B-25.

Later, the Navy added A for attack. The AD-4 was an attack bomber built by Douglas Aircraft.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Thanks, Jim. That's the most interesting thing I'll learn today, I guarantee it. I never knew the pattern behind the Navy's model designations.