Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EAA Forum, Crazies and You

Quote Originally Posted by kscessnadriver View Post
    Having been a part of a number of aviation forums for a good number of years, I think that I've came to a conclusion about the EAA board. There are many good people on here, which do a great deal of good work. There are also quite a few crazies on here, that for some reason, simply cannot stick to the topic or venture off into cheap shots at anything and everything they can, simply because they think they are all knowing on a topic.

Why this happens, I have no idea. Perhaps from a lack of moderation, perhaps its just the way the membership of EAA sees it. Personally, the ones that are most concerning to me are the ones that encourage ignoring federal regulations, simply because they disagree with them or don't like them for some reason.

Its a shame that so many topics get locked here because of what these crazies do. Perhaps rather than locking these threads, there should be some actual moderation and removal of the offending posts. Because what good does simply locking a thread do, when the offenders know they still get their point in and it doesn't get deleted?

Email EAA Feed Back and tell them of any concerns you may have. <feedback@eaa.org> I Ain't going to Change untill you complain.
    Last edited by RV8505; 08-30-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RV8505 View Post
    This whole board needs a overhaul and I plan on having a meeting with the powers that be about it. I would like to see a adaption of Doug Reeve's web site. http://www.vansairforce.net/ Alot of good info there even if your not building a RV.
    For the love of God no thank you. We don't need the over-moderation and unexplained deleting of posts that is rampant there (unless you're the site owner's buddies of course). Having a post deleted because one disagrees with another, or thinks something is a bad idea and explains why, etc, that's not what's needed here.
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction

It seems to me that the few posts that have been locked, are the topics which many people get involved in. And almost always politics get drug into the situation. It's a shame, but perhaps its just a reflection on the difference (good or bad) of EAA posters versus other places.
    KSCessnaDriver
    ATP MEL, Commercial Lighter Than Air-Airship, SEL, CFI/CFII
    Private SES

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfalcons View Post
    For the love of God no thank you. We don't need the over-moderation and unexplained deleting of posts that is rampant there (unless you're the site owner's buddies of course). Having a post deleted because one disagrees with another, or thinks something is a bad idea and explains why, etc, that's not what's needed here.
    Amen to that! Over moderation is going to be the death of VAF if they are not careful, and we don't need that to happen here. Over moderation has already spurred one start-up RV-centered unmoderated forum. I support this effort but it needn't have come to this.

Bill- you are a crazy, you post too much, you are wrong more often than not, and I love arguing with you. Frankly, people like you are what make this forum worth participating in. You too Steve

The old saying applies here- "I strongly disagree with what you are saying, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Moderate the crazies, and some of the sane types won't find much reason to stick around. Don't fall into this temptation.

Oh, and RV8505- until you decide to post your own name, understand that you have very little credibility here.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

[QUOTE=Jeff Point;22131]Amen to that! Over moderation is going to be the death of VAF if they are not careful, and we don't need that to happen here. Over moderation has already spurred one start-up RV-centered unmoderated forum. I support this effort but it needn't have come to this.

I read it it is not much of anything I would want to participate in, The traiffc is real slow. As for Doug's web site, maybe it was better for the sake of the board to cut loose of that contrary 5% that creates 100% of the problems.
    Last edited by RV8505; 08-30-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kscessnadriver View Post
    Having been a part of a number of aviation forums for a good number of years, I think that I've came to a conclusion about the EAA board. There are many good people on here, which do a great deal of good work. There are also quite a few crazies on here, that for some reason, simply cannot stick to the topic or venture off into cheap shots at anything and everything they can, simply because they think they are all knowing on a topic.

Why this happens, I have no idea. Perhaps from a lack of moderation, perhaps its just the way the membership of EAA sees it. Personally, the ones that are most concerning to me are the ones that encourage ignoring federal regulations, simply because they disagree with them or don't like them for some reason.
    I largely agree with your first point. I haven't noted instances of your second point, but I do observe them in other forums, so I'm sure it happens here.

I think the civility would improve tremendously if people posted under their real names. It is much easier to be a jerk or a troll if you remain anonymous. I participate in several forums where people are required to post under their real names. For whatever reason, the tone of those forums is more conducive to constructive discussion and debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    I think the civility would improve tremendously if people posted under their real names. It is much easier to be a jerk or a troll if you remain anonymous. I participate in several forums where people are required to post under their real names. For whatever reason, the tone of those forums is more conducive to constructive discussion and debate.
    I agree...I have noticed exactly the same thing.

Jeff, if that was a compliment of sorts, thanks.

I'm not really crazy. Sometimes I post just straight aviation stuff, and seriously , like the post under warbirds about the Reno report.
    Sometimes I am writing with what I hope is humor, trying to bring a laugh into the world that needs it badly, especially this website which can be pretty flat and dry.
    Sometimes I am using sarcasm to reply to someone, I am trying to make a point but adding some humor also or trying to. This was the case on the topic about cell phones and ipads on planes where the other side just seems so silly to me.

I guess I flatter myself as having some writing ability. Have you ever heard of TEXAS MONTHLY? It is a large successful magazine. In college I wrote a little in the paper and the man who was starting T M called me about writing for his new start up magazine. I foolishly was too busy playing to take it seriously, probably was a bit too young then.

As for using my real name, I agree that someone who hides behind an alias should be taken with a large dose of Epson Salt. I was naive about websites when I started and it never occurred to me not to use my name. If you write for a mag or a letter to the editor in a paper, you must use your name.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-30-2012 at 10:10 PM.

RV8505,Please let us know how your interface with the"powers that be" goes.

Bill- you are a crazy, you post too much, you are wrong more often than not, and I love arguing with you. Frankly, people like you are what make this forum worth participating in. You too Steve
    Thank you Jeff. There are a lot of folks here whom I disagree with vehemently on many issues but their presence is what makes having discussions here worthwhile.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.