Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you Building?

Quote Originally Posted by Clarke Tate View Post
    Ron,
    The PDF files you posted of the Fly Baby plans look nice. Don't let the "Full resale rights" cd guys over on eBay get hold of these PDF files. I spent weeks trying to get eBay to pull CD disks with Roy Nerou's Chilton DW-1 plans. I managed to get a dialogue started, which is more than Roy had managed from England, but eBay has a vested interest in looking the other way on this.

Nice effort Ron!
    There are a couple of folks who have scanned in and PDF'd the original plans. Nothing I can do if they end up on eBay...and since I don't own the rights, I'm not too worried about it. The PDFs I posted aren't the complete plans, just the introductory material and the first chapter.

If I ever hear from the rights-holder, I'm going to urge her to make the plans public domain. THEN I'll post the full PDFs.

Building an RV9A. Completing wiring now, 8/12/11. Helping my grandson build a Pietenpol with Corvair power.

Pietenpol Air Camper... www.mykitlog.com/k5yac

A group of EAA1114 members (Apex, NC) has formed the Bear Creek Aero Club to rescue unfinished projects or needed restorations from the scrap heap. Our first project is a rare Stits SA-7D Skycoupe, one of the more popular designs in the late 1950s/early 1960s and the only one of Ray Stits' 15 designs taken through certification. The project has had only two builders before us since 1963, luckily they were good builders and documented their work well. Our engine is a (well-pickled) Lycoming O-290-D. This plane could be built for under $2000 in the early 60s. We expect to put about $5000 in it, and plan to fly it to AirVenture 2012. We invite all owners of airworthy Stits designs to join us. See our progress here: http://eaa1114.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kmisegades@bellsouth.net View Post
    A group of EAA1114 members (Apex, NC) has formed the Bear Creek Aero Club to rescue unfinished projects or needed restorations from the scrap heap. Our first project is a rare Stits SA-7D Skycoupe, one of the more popular designs in the late 1950s/early 1960s and the only one of Ray Stits' 15 designs taken through certification. The project has had only two builders before us since 1963, luckily they were good builders and documented their work well. Our engine is a (well-pickled) Lycoming O-290-D. This plane could be built for under $2000 in the early 60s. We expect to put about $5000 in it, and plan to fly it to AirVenture 2012. We invite all owners of airworthy Stits designs to join us. See our progress here: http://eaa1114.blogspot.com/
    Kent, I just went through your site and came across your June 23 post about Ray Stits. I'm building a Stits SA-6B Flut-R-Bug, and had it stored at Flabob for a while (I've since moved it closer to my home so I can actually make some progress on it). Ray Stits came by a few times to talk and lend advice and, as your post says, is a sharp guy! One of the interesting things you mention is that he suggested a Stits Aircraft reunion at Oshkosh someday. Is that what you're suggesting for 2012?

Sherwood Ranger - biplane, meets LSA, 2-place, riveted aluminum primary structure, fabric covered, wood ribs & stringers.
    Plans, parts, and complete kits from http://g-tlac.com

Note no stagger in the wings - because they fold back along the sides of the fuselage.
    Name:  Sherwood_1.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  54.8 KB
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

Stits Reunion 2012

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    Kent, I just went through your site and came across your June 23 post about Ray Stits. I'm building a Stits SA-6B Flut-R-Bug, and had it stored at Flabob for a while (I've since moved it closer to my home so I can actually make some progress on it). Ray Stits came by a few times to talk and lend advice and, as your post says, is a sharp guy! One of the interesting things you mention is that he suggested a Stits Aircraft reunion at Oshkosh someday. Is that what you're suggesting for 2012?

Tony, I have discussed the idea of a Ray Stits reunion with Ray himself as well as Adam Smith (VP Membership) and Mark Forss (SportAir Workshops) of the EAA. All agree it is s a good idea. In 2012 there will be a Van's reunion at AirVenture. Since the RV-1 is actually a Stits Playboy with Van's first metal wing, the two events match nicely. We'd like to get as many airworthy Stits designs to AirVenture 2012 as possible, and see if we can't get Ray there, too, for a forum on his aircraft, among the most popular homebuilts in the 50s and 60s. Send me your contact information and I will keep you informed of progress. Email me at kmisegades@bellsouth.net

Quote Originally Posted by kmisegades@bellsouth.net View Post
    Tony, I have discussed the idea of a Ray Stits reunion with Ray himself as well as Adam Smith (VP Membership) and Mark Forss (SportAir Workshops) of the EAA. All agree it is s a good idea. In 2012 there will be a Van's reunion at AirVenture. Since the RV-1 is actually a Stits Playboy with Van's first metal wing, the two events match nicely. We'd like to get as many airworthy Stits designs to AirVenture 2012 as possible, and see if we can't get Ray there, too, for a forum on his aircraft, among the most popular homebuilts in the 50s and 60s. Send me your contact information and I will keep you informed of progress. Email me at kmisegades@bellsouth.net
    E-mail sent! My fiancee and I are planning to attend 2012 no matter what. Honestly, I doubt I'll be flying by then. And if I am, that's 16-18 hours of flying from California and I'm not sure even my patient spouse will be up for that! But I would definitely like to see it happen. I'd like to see the RV-1 - I think I read that someone at Van's had pulled it out of storage and might be prepping it to fly again. Don't know if that was accurate.

Still in the planning and dreaming stages, but I think I've narrowed it down to either a Belite UL or a OneX. I don't want to pay hangar rent, so the idea of folding the wings, towing it home, and storing it in the garage is very appealing. There are obviously substantial differences between the two a/c with respect to mission capability and build cost, so I've still got some thinking to do.

Speaking of garages, that's one of my main problems at the moment. As I write this, my garage is ~106°F. I don't know about y'all, but I'm not working in that heat! Realistically, there are at most four months of workable temps here in Phoenix -- hardly conducive to making good headway on a project. I need to move to a cooler part of the country...

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1699
Size:  11.0 KB

As mentioned in another thread, my ten-year-old son and I are building an Acey Deucy, which is sort of like a two-hole Baby Ace. We're constructing ribs now. I had no idea that cut spruce smelled so good.

To see a recent example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b61PlJsQ9HI
    Note that this particular 'Deuce was damaged at last spring's Sun 'n Fun. The builder, Ed Marerro, is making good progress on the repairs. He hopes to be flying next year.

When the designer of the Acey Deucy, Commander John Powell, passed away in 2008, new plan sets were no longer available. My set was one of the last to be issued by the late Commander -- it was a delight to speak with this fascinating veteran of various Pacific battles of WWII. Fortunately, his widow, Peg Powell, is now offering them for sale again for fifty bucks. Let me know if you would like her mailing address.

[I am editing my original post to include details on how to get the plans. Note that I have no commercial interest. Details follow.]
    Plans are available for $55 ($50 for plans, $5 for postage) . Send check made out to Peg C. Powell at 4 Donald Drive, Middletown, Rhode Island 02840
    Last edited by conodeuce; 02-01-2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Adding missing address