Thread: Reno NTSB Report

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Reno NTSB Report

The NTSB Reno accident report is out, I read it on the AOPAsite.
    In short, it says that the elevator trim tabs had been modified and the hardware was worn and screws failed and the tabs fluttered and broke off.
    Instantly, with the loss of level trim, the nose itched up violently and the pilot would be unconcious and the stick was to the right causing the roll.
    It says a 17 g pull up, which I have much doubt as a stock P-51 is built to stand 8 gs, doubt if it could have over twice that much and stay together which it did except for the trim tab.
    NTSBs Robt Sumwalt, seems pretty qualified, though not as a racer, and he is critical that as he says the plane should have been tested at speed after the modifications were done.

Jimmy was a friend and a good guy, good pilot, and myself and many others morn his loss and those others from that day.
    I saw Dirk Leeward at Oskosh, we talked a little about his Dad, but I really was at a loss what to say. What really is there to say in such a difficult time?

My Son called me last week to ask if I was going to Reno and might take he and a friend who knows one of the L39 pilots. I just have more dread than desire to be there right now, and I pray it will be safe.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-29-2012 at 10:59 AM.