Thread: Definations: Experimental-Amature Built and Experimental-Light Sport Aircraft

Question Definations: Experimental-Amature Built and Experimental-Light Sport Aircraft

Can someone explain difference between the two to me. I'm little confuse between the two.

Regards
    john
    EAA 677663

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Can someone explain difference between the two to me. I'm little confuse between the two.

Regards
    john
    EAA 677663
    Start here John, the last two bullets answer your question.

http://www.sportpilot.org/learn/aircraft.html

: an amateur built is a "homebuilt", but by someone privately, usually one or two people, and either from scratch like plans or from a kit. It, in theory must have 51% of the assembly done by the amateur builder; and not done by some paid pro, and not done by a factory ,though they can make the 49%. Can be virtually any design, size, speed, complexity

The light sport is mostly factory built, can be a few of the old classics like Piper Cub or the new Gobosh types for $130, 000 with glass cockpit panels and fancy.
    BUT LSA must meet some smaller, lighter, less powerful, etc, standards than a homebuilt which can be anything from a Reno racer on down in power and performance.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-28-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Both have "Special" airworthiness, but in different categories.

There are no limits to the size, weight, power, performance, etc of an Experimental Amateur-Built (E-AB) aircraft. The main limitation is that 51% of the tasks during construction must be done for education or recreation. The majority builder receives a Repairman Certificate which allows him or her to perform the yearly condition inspection of the aircraft. This repairman certificate cannot be transferred. If someone purchases the aircraft later, they've either got to talk the original builder into performing the yearly inspections or hire an A&P.

If the E-AB aircraft meets the 14 CFR Part 1 definition of "Light Sport Aircraft", it is elligible to be flown by a person with a Sport Pilot license. The aircraft itself remains E-AB, and the maintenence rules, etc. don't change.

An Experimental Light Sport Aircraft (ELSA) is strictly limited by the weight, stall speed, number of seat limitations, etc of the 14CFR Part 1 "Light Sport" definition. To license an ELSA, the aircraft manufacturer must build an example and certify it as a Special Light Sport Aircraft (e.g., the ready-to-fly type of LSA). Once the prototype gets its SLSA certificate, the manufacturer can sell SLSAs ready to fly or ELSA kits that allow purchasers to assemble an Experimental Light Sport version of the same plane. Unlike E-AB, there is no "51% Rule"...the kit seller can sell a product in any stage of completion. But the builder cannot deviate from the construction directions. It must be made exactly how the kit manufacturer states... you can't change the engine, you can't even change the radios.

Building an ELSA does not qualify the builder to receive a Repairman Certificate that permits him or her to perform the yearly condition inspection. The inspection must be performed by an A&P, or a person holding either of two special Repairman Certificates called "Light Sport - Maintenance" (LS-M) or "Light Sport - Inspector" (LS-I). The LS-M is basically an A&P ticket limited to Light Sport Aircraft, and getting one takes a several hundred hour course. However, the LS-I can be obtained after a 16-hour course, and permits the holder to perform the annual inspection on any ELSA *that they own*.

So if you build an Experimental Amateur-Built aircraft, you can modify it as you desire and receive a non-transferable Repairman Certificate to perform the condition inspection. If you buy a completed E-AB aircraft, you must hire an A&P to do the annual. Anyone can do the maintenance and modification of the aircraft.

If you build an Experimental Light Sport Aircraft, you cannot make any changes. Once you receive your airworthiness certificate, though, you can make any modification you wish, and perform the maintenance. However, for the condition inspection, you have to either hire an A&P or LS-M or take the 16-hour course to receive the LS-I certificate.

Take a look at the attached and see if it makes it any clearer.

Name:  Slide1.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  97.6 KB

Ron Wanttaja

I want to thank all that replied to my question. All was helpful. Ron, yours very concise and well scripted. It explained alot. Again thanks to all that replied.

regards
    john
    EAA 677663