Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loans to fly ... help!

Thanks everyone for the helpful hints and tips!! Currently I have paid for most of my private rating in cash, but i don't have a job or jobs for the sufficient income right now. I'm in the process of interviews and such for better paying jobs. In the meantime I am looking into different colleges and universities because I do want a bachelor's degree. I also wanted to take out additional loans so that i can at least finish my flying up. Like i said i really like Everglades and their curriculum, it definitely sparked my interest, however can i take additional loans from places like sallie mae to finish flying? Everglades does not support the flying portion of it. I'm new to school, i finished high school almost 15 years ago, so I'll be honest in saying i dont have any clue how this works. Add the fact that it's all in aviation, and you can't exactly sign up for aviation anywhere, it seems more confusing. i just want to fly haha! but i do not want to relocate from BUF right now. so anything online is helpful.
    I have also written a few essays and received some letters of recommendation for scholarships thru WAI. (Money i dont have to pay back is always worth a shot at getting).

Less Expensive Aviation

Sarah,

I expect you are primarily interested in mainstream aviation, however, check out the thread "Learning to Fly Ultralights". It is a good thing to broaden your aviation experiance and the costs can be much much less.

Shocked Ownership Optionss

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Sarah,
    .... and the costs can be much much less.
    For example I just worked with a student that purchased an older Ultralight in good condition but needing some work. He has about $3,000 invested and an UL he can fly for about $20 per hour. He will learn the basics better than the average private pilot then resell the aircraft and move on.
    I will be first to say that this approach is not for everyone but it should be considered. Cessna 120/140s can be had for about $20,000 and are an excellent training plane. Resale value in 3 years will likely be 10% higher if well maintained. Per hour flight costs are under $50 per hour. Add in hangar and fly as much as you can to lower fixed costs per hour. In the end you will be a well qualified pilot but you must sell when your time is right and move up to more modern equipment if you do not wish to stay an antique pilot.

sarah, this may sound crazy but i heard of a person who worked up a website, promoted himself and received $$ to get his helicopter rating. now that is fantastic. i think i heard about it on some podcast. may be a different route but it worked for someone. wish i had more info for you but keep on trying and you will get there.
    Ed DArcy 'Turbo'
    R-44 N7511G 1,300 hrs / RV-6 N26ED 4,700 hrs / helicycle 100 hrs
    Stuart, FL Hartford,Ct Virgin Gorda, BVI

Loans to fly

Quote Originally Posted by pilotgirlbuf View Post
    I am a student pilot flying out of 9G3 (akron, ny), and I have fallen into the financial trap that is so easy to do ... I've run out of cash to fly! I am looking to get into school, I've applied at Utah Valley University looking to attend in January, I have had a hard time getting into the fall semester. I've also read into Everglades University in Florida, they have a really great curriculum, but they do not have any flight training.
    Couple of questions:
    1. Can I attend Evergades and get loans to fly on the side even though they do not support the flight training portion?
    2. Can I get loans through Sallie Mae or any other lender BEFORE I actually attend college?

Any tips or help would be great!!!

Sarah
    Do you have a skill that you could use to trade for flight time? Say like you used to install roofs, and your instructor needs a new roof! Just an idea.