Thread: For sale: Garmin 396, GXM30 XM antenna, and all accessories

For sale: Garmin 396, GXM30 XM antenna, and all accessories

- - SOLD - -

After many years of faithful service it's time for my 396 to find a new home. It still works very well and comes with all accessories shown below.

I'm pretty sure I have everything that ever came with it, plus a few extras:
    • GXM30 XM antenna
    • XM antenna extension cable
    • Remote GPS antenna (labeled "External GPS antenna" in picture, but not intended to be mounted outside the plane!)
    • Carrying case (holds 396 + XM antenna + 12/24V power cord + remote GPS)
    • 12/24V power cable
    • 12V "car" power cable with speaker (to speak directions when used in "Automobile" mode)
    • A/C charger
    • Yoke mount
    • "Beanbag" mount for dash/glareshield
    • Extra cradle
    • 2 sets mounting hardware (bases, stick-on mounts, etc...)
    • Motorcycle mount: RAM cradle + short arm
    • USB cable
    • Owner's Manual
    • All software, including street-map

The GXM30 was replaced by Garmin in 2007 because the original one would overheat & stop receiving. The new one works great.

The 12V charging cable was replaced by Garmin in 2007 because the original one pulled apart; this one has worked without trouble since then.

I bought a new Garmin battery pack from Aircraft Spruce in 2007 because the old one wouldn't hold a charge; as you can see from the close-up, the new one is still working very well, shows over 6 hours of GPS-only life at full charge with the screen at full brightness (note: my current location is blurred out of the picture, but don't worry, that part of the screen still works!)

Aviation database last updated in 2011.

Update: By following this technique: http://www.csobeech.com/Garmin-Internal-Battery.html I left it on for 24 hours while plugged-in to the wall power, confirmed the time was correct, then turned it off, unplugged it and left it off all week. When I next turned it on (after it had been off & unplugged all week) the time and date were exactly correct, and got a GPS fix in ~60 seconds. So I think it should be good to go. When you buy this, plan to charge the internal battery this way every month or two.

This no longer applies:
    The 396's internal "button" battery appears to be dying/dead, because after leaving it off for a while, it forgets the local time/location; however it finds itself typically within 5-10 minutes after turning it on and it picking up the GPS signal. Also, the aviation database is out of date.
    I've tried to take great care of it, so other than a little wear on the power button and a couple of nicks, it looks as good as it did when I bought it new.

Asking (was $675) $605 + shipping from Virginia.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by FlyingJosh; 09-29-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: SOLD

BUMP for Update: By following this technique: http://www.csobeech.com/Garmin-Internal-Battery.html I left it on for 24 hours while plugged-in to the wall power, confirmed the time was correct, then turned it off, unplugged it and left it off all week. When I next turned it on (after it had been off & unplugged all week) the time and date were exactly correct, and got a GPS fix in ~60 seconds. So I think it should be good to go. When you buy this, plan to charge the internal battery this way every month or two.