Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cell phone nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Marty, do you belive in ghosts? If not, do you have any factual eveidence that they don't exist?

There is lot's of data, all about lot's of things from a whole industry built around Santa Claus. Millions of folks belive women should cover their heads, and 40 years ago Baylor U in Waco used to say dancing was a sin and boys, but not girls could wear pants.

Lot's of "data " on Bigfoot, lot's on space aliens coming to Roswell.

So let's get serious on data. I"ll pay you $1000 for every official NTSB report that states the cause of an accident was interfereence from a cell phone or I pad; IF you will pay me $100 for every NTSB report that lists other causes and not a cell phone( and I mean interference, not as a distraction). How about it, I am offering 10 to 1 odds!
    Want to back up your opinion, hollow though it may be?
    Here Bill, why don't you chew on this for a while.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...2001108092.pdf
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    So let's get serious on data. I"ll pay you $1000 for every official NTSB report that states the cause of an accident was interfereence from a cell phone or I pad; IF you will pay me $100 for every NTSB report that lists other causes and not a cell phone( and I mean interference, not as a distraction). How about it, I am offering 10 to 1 odds!
    Ah, but that's the beauty of it, you see: It doesn't leave much, if any evidence. There's nothing "recording" the background envionrment that could be looked at afterwards to "prove" the crash was caused by interference from a cell phone. "Pilot Error," the NTSB will rule. "For some reason, they deviated from the glide path."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood
    Ron ,just like the federal war on marijuana, at the same time subsidizing tobbaco and alcohol; I agree with you on one thing, the feds and proponents of bogus rules don't want to do any scientific experimentts that might make them look even more foolish.
    I'm strongly in favor of science-based decisions. But... science cannot reproduce every possible condition; every potential brand of electronic device, every potential location in the cabin, every combination of aircraft type, every configuration and flight mode. And the only thing we have against PED (Personal Electronic Device) use in aircraft is anecdotal evidence: The ASRS reports. I agree, the plural of 'anecdote' is NOT 'data.'

But we are not talking about Joe Citizen observing something in the street that he has no knowledge about. These are reports by professional pilots, who observed a condition that they felt may have impacted the safety of flight, who could have just stayed quiet. Do we dare ignore them?

So all right, Bill, you call it: Let's say we have 10 scientists study the matter and announce there's no way PEDs can interfere with aircraft systems.

- If one pilot reports a potential interference case, do you continue the ban on PEDs?
    - If ten pilots report potential interference cases, do you continue the ban on PEDs?
    - If one hundred pilots report potential interference cases, do you continue the ban on PEDs?
    - If one thousand pilots report potential interference cases, do you continue the ban on PEDs?

Again, you have to consider the risks along with the benefits. The only benefit is the elimination of an inconvenience, and for most PEDs, the actual time of inconvenience is short (takeoffs and landings). Remember, the reason for this most recent flare-up of this issue is because a celebrity wanted to continue playing a GAME. Boo ******* hoo.

Ron Wanttaja

Okay, you guys win. There really is a Bogey Man, if not under the bed, at least in the passenger cabin, and he/she/it may strike at any time!

So what do I do now?
    I was supposed to catch Southwest out of Denver Sat morning the 1st at 9:40 to go down to Austin for the game, but now, after reading all these ever so logical explanations of what might happen, I am afraid to fly?

What do I do? Do I start two days early and drive?

And by the way, some people use GPS when they drive a car. What if I am headed to Texas with my GPS on the dash and someone nearby turns on a cell phone? I could end up in L A?