Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cell phone nonsense

Banned
    Very timely: (and read the last line)

AVFLASH NEWS

August 28, 2012
    FAA To Study Electronics Use Aloft

By Mary Grady, Contributing editor

The FAA said on Monday it will form a working group to study whether it might be okay to allow airline passengers to use personal electronic devices during flights. "We're looking for information to help air carriers and operators decide if they can allow more widespread use of electronic devices in today's aircraft," said Acting FAA Administrator Michael Huerta. "We also want solid safety data to make sure tomorrow's aircraft designs are protected from interference." The government-industry group will examine a variety of issues, including the testing methods aircraft operators use to determine which new technologies passengers can safely use aboard aircraft and when they can use them.
    The FAA policies regarding passenger devices were first established in the 1960s, the agency said, when studies showed that portable FM receivers could interfere with VOR navigation signals. More recently, the FAA has been concerned about potential interference with fly-by-wire controls and electronic cockpit displays. The FAA provides guidance about the use of the devices, but has left it up to the airlines to set and enforce their own rules. The new working group will be established this fall and will meet for six months, the FAA said. The group is seeking comments (PDF) from aircraft operators, flight crews, passengers, and manufacturers of personal electronic devices within the next 60 days. The FAA added that the group will not address the use of cellphones in flight.
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 08-28-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dingley View Post
    Right on Steve. You can be hit by lightning with no effect on the avionics and autopilot.

Bob
    Well, if you design, build and maintain the system correctly. I seriously doubt that many experimentals could take a direct hit and not suffer catastrophic failures especially in the composite aircraft.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

One of our Lears had a lightning strike a while back (before we bought it). It still has electrical gremlins.
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Marty,
    "Quite a few reports" and "that suggest"?
    That's correct.

And while peds may have a host of problesms, interfering with airline avionics is not one of them.
    Where is your evidence to support that claim?

One group is says yes, one group is says no. The yes group has data. The no group doesn't. Are we to believe the absence of data from the 'no' group means they are correct?
    Last edited by martymayes; 08-28-2012 at 01:22 PM.

Are we to believe the absence of data from the 'no' group means they are correct?
    It depends on whether you see our group as being based around science or nothing more than a bunch of zealots to whom evidence or the lack thereof means nothing.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfalcons View Post
    One of our Lears had a lightning strike a while back (before we bought it). It still has electrical gremlins.
    So you have more than one Lear AND a Stinson? Can I come hang out with you? Do you need/want an adopted adult son? LOL

Cessnadriver, So you don't fly on the weekend for fun. Gosh , are the rest of us uniformed or we just luckier than you. I am glad that I don't fly just to make living.

Ron ,just like the federal war on marijuana, at the same time subsidizing tobbaco and alcohol; I agree with you on one thing, the feds and proponents of bogus rules don't want to do any scientific experimentts that might make them look even more foolish.

And guys, since you seem to believe the FAA version of the Bogey Man ,how can you safely even get on an airliner, much less allow your family and loved ones to ride on one, all the while knowing that some passenger in the back somewhere might turn on a cell phone or I pad, resulting is loss of control that would make a Patty Wagstaff show look like straight and level by comparison.

Marty, do you belive in ghosts? If not, do you have any factual eveidence that they don't exist?

There is lot's of data, all about lot's of things from a whole industry built around Santa Claus. Millions of folks belive women should cover their heads, and 40 years ago Baylor U in Waco used to say dancing was a sin and boys, but not girls could wear pants.

Lot's of "data " on Bigfoot, lot's on space aliens coming to Roswell.

So let's get serious on data. I"ll pay you $1000 for every official NTSB report that states the cause of an accident was interfereence from a cell phone or I pad; IF you will pay me $100 for every NTSB report that lists other causes and not a cell phone( and I mean interference, not as a distraction). How about it, I am offering 10 to 1 odds!
    Want to back up your opinion, hollow though it may be?

And for those who say the govt. must be right ,if there is a Bogey Man, even though none of you can produce anything more than hearsay on it, Remember this; the Govt. are the folks though the FAA that told us for 5 or 6 years that Bob Hoover was unsafe to fly, and that airline pilots would become unsafe it they flew a day over age 60.

Not the FAA, but other govt branches license alcohol sales( is there any doubt that many accidents, drivng or flying are from alchhol) Bernie Madoff to sell investments, and at the highest level of govt told us extensive and contniueous lies about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. By the way, they had "data" also, even photos of aluminum tubes, that looked about like what you's store a fly rod in.

As Mark Twain said. "Faith is beleiving something that you know ain't true".
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-28-2012 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    So you have more than one Lear AND a Stinson? Can I come hang out with you? Do you need/want an adopted adult son? LOL
    "Our" being my employer. Though you can find 20-series Lears for about what a Stinson goes for these days!
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction