Thread: Current Status Of ELT change

Current Status Of ELT change

Where do we stand today insofar as the regulation, schedule, hardware change, FAA vs. FCC position etc. Is EAA doing anything to influence the outcome? Members concerns and suggestions, etc.

The old TSO units (i.e., things like the NARCO ELT-10) 121.5/243 Mhz units that do not have the remote control are illegal to install new (although if you have one, you can continue to operate/maintain it).
    While the government has talked about banning the later 121.5/243 ONLY units, they're still legal for existing or new installations. The only proviso its that the SARSAT monitoring of 121.5 was shutoff several years ago, so if you want that, you need a 406MHz unit.

I sold my 121 unit while I could still get something out of it and went 406.

In the "new" context of regulation, I think an ELT of some vintage is required for each registered aircraft. But,further, that the satellite monitoring was discontinued by the FCC. Beyond that, the FAA had sort of reached a stalemate with the FCC on requiring 406 units due to cost considerations and production capacity for the 406 types. And that there was some period of time for reestablishng the 406. For myself, I would rather have some type of track monitoring hardware which, I feel, would be far more useful to rescue units, the govt and family members Than any kind of ELT. Yes, I know that some places in the wilderness, this could be considered undoable. Maybe that could be covered by 406 units.
    Last edited by EDGEFLY; 08-25-2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Spelling