Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Lycoming O-145 opinions?

  1. #1

    Lycoming O-145 opinions?

    Hello,I'm considering a purchase that was recently restored a few years ago and has a Lycoming O-145 that was also overhauled at the same time.Opinions seem to vary about the O-145 these days, but mostly from people who haven't ever owned or worked on one. From those who have, any negative or positive comments, opinions or suggestions?Thanks,Ryan in Madison, WI

  2. #2
    Aaron Novak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Oshkosh, Wi
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by MadisonPilot View Post
    Hello,I'm considering a purchase that was recently restored a few years ago and has a Lycoming O-145 that was also overhauled at the same time.Opinions seem to vary about the O-145 these days, but mostly from people who haven't ever owned or worked on one. From those who have, any negative or positive comments, opinions or suggestions?Thanks,Ryan in Madison, WI
    Hi Ryan,
    I personally do not own one, however a co-worker of mine does in a J3. He did his own restoration/overhaul of the engine which included manufacturing some components, so is pretty well versed in the engine on a technical and pilots level. If you shoot me a PM with your contact information I will give it to this fellow.
    -Aaron

  3. #3
    KDoersom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    55
    Nothing wrong with the 0-145 if you don't expect more out if it than it is. They put out about 55 HP on a good day. Also a very smooth running little engine. The cylinders are part of the case half so you can just pull a jug and send it for overhaul. Half to send half the engine.

  4. #4
    rosiejerryrosie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    Posts
    392
    The biggest problem with the O-145 is that parts are very hard to find, and cost a small fortune if you can find them. I just gave up and replaced mine with a Continental. If you do buy it, I recommend a routine of frequently torqueing the head bolts as there are a lot of instances of blown head gaskets.
    Cheers,
    Jerry

    NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Clarklake, MI
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by KDoersom View Post
    The cylinders are part of the case half so you can just pull a jug and send it for overhaul. Half to send half the engine.
    The cylinder is part of the case but the cylinder head isn't. Most cylinder work is confined to upper cylinder parts so the 145 may be easier to work on because of the way they are built. What Jerry said is true, original parts are not available but for experimental applications, one can come up with suitable alternatives. Just send all your derelect 145's my way.

  6. #6
    Aaron Novak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Oshkosh, Wi
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    The cylinder is part of the case but the cylinder head isn't. Most cylinder work is confined to upper cylinder parts so the 145 may be easier to work on because of the way they are built. What Jerry said is true, original parts are not available but for experimental applications, one can come up with suitable alternatives. Just send all your derelect 145's my way.
    I should have noted that my co-workers engine is not being run as an experimental, and all the manufactured parts were approved. There is really nothing that "rare" about the engine, as long as you understand that it is an antique. If your experience with engine ownership is limited to engines you can readily buy parts for, then this would be a change.

  7. #7
    Thanks for the reply's.

    Is there a TBO for the O-145?

    Is there any shops around that still work and overhaul them?

    Ryan in Madison

  8. #8
    Aaron Novak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Oshkosh, Wi
    Posts
    302
    Hi Ryan,
    No shops I am aware of in the WI area anyway that are familiar with them. Like I mentioned above, it's an antique engine not currently supported very well. A nice reliable engine, but one that in itself can become a hobby should it need an overhaul. Just be warned that there are many people out there that like to substitute auto parts and such in them, maybe not "above board" in some cases.

  9. #9
    steveinindy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,449
    Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    The biggest problem with the O-145 is that parts are very hard to find, and cost a small fortune if you can find them. I just gave up and replaced mine with a Continental. If you do buy it, I recommend a routine of frequently torqueing the head bolts as there are a lot of instances of blown head gaskets.
    That was similar to the recommendations from a friend who owns one when I was asking about it as a possible powerplant for an LSA design I shelved in favor of my current one. His comment was "The 145 will run all day if you treat it right. Neglect it or abuse it and it'll make you pay just like a scorned woman."
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

    "I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.



  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Parma, Ohio
    Posts
    1
    I have a few O-145 parts that need a good home. Send me a note if you are interested. cwid71358@aol.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •