Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airworthiness paperwork

Airworthiness paperwork

Can any one tell me where to find a list of paper work I will need for my airworthiness inspection. D Shell

First time I have seen that particular web page.

"The engine should have been run for at least 1 hour. The run should have included operating in a nose high above stall attitude to ensure full fuel flow, and a full power run to verify and ensure maximum designed RPM is attained"

How exactly do they propose you do this with an aircraft that has the prop in the rear? If I have the nose above stall attitude on mine the prop will be hitting the ground.

A ramp perhaps to get it into that attitude? That would be my technique if I were building a pusher configuration. Even with a tractor configuration, it could be difficult to get it into the position of a power-on stall for many aircraft. Lucky for you, your aircraft is pretty light isn't it?
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    your aircraft is pretty light isn't it?
    Preliminary numbers are just under 1100lb empty, but that is a SWAG.

steve your mailbox is full

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    steve your mailbox is full
    Fixed...sorry about that.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

I think that there is an alternative to running the engine with the airplane jacked up. If you can put the airplane into the specified attitude, with the fuel qty just above the minimum usable, disconnect the fuel line from the carburetor or fuel control, put the fuel line into a bucket, and demonstrate that the flow into the bucket exceeds the max flow specified for the engine, that should be an acceptable test. Yes?

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for, Dave

The fuel flow test needs to be performed with the airplane nose up, level and nose down. I would strongly suggest not running the airplane while placed nose up or nose down on the ground. It is hazardous enough just getting the plane into those positions without running it.