Hey Ben,
WHERE in Texas do you live? Where we live in West Texas, the winds are out of the southwest probably 70% of the time at least 8 to 10 a lot of the time, which is a little too slow for this, but about 40% of the time, we get 25 to 30 MPH winds, and during the Spring "Windy Season". two to three weeks of almost daily 45 to 60 MPH straight line winds.
I have several different ultralights, and 80 acres with my own 4,700 foot grass strip, BUT, I would love to take this old Weedhopper that I have, and mount a release hook under the aircraft where you locate the release for a winch launghed glider.
When the winds are 40 and above, I would just hook the un-powered, but ballasted to correct W&B Weedhopper to a 500 foot long tow line. Get in the plane power winch it to full extension, (probably around 300 AGL), and "FLY" it like the giant human controlled kite that it would be.
After I got tired of that, I would just perform a standard "Soft Release" of the tow line, and glide back to Earth. You could just be winched down from whatever altitude that you chose to "Play" at.
Understand that I have a BUNCH of Glider time, and it would behoove you to get a few glider lessons under your belt before you tried this little game.
Brie