Thread: FAA Airworthiness Inspections - E-AB Aircraft

FAA Airworthiness Inspections - E-AB Aircraft

I spoke with the local FSDO yesterday and was told that there are "14 in the queue" and some were waiting around a year.

What part of the country are you in and how long did you wait for your recently completed FAA inspection? Thanks.

Unfortunately, it varies greatly by FSDO. I've hear some FSDOs won't even do them. I'm fortunate in that the Columbus FSDO is quite engaging with local builders and is very responsive. I've been have conversations with them for several months and my inspection is still 60 days away (my delays). It's been a very cordial relationship. My contact truly wants to assist builders in making a safe product, not just push through the paperwork. It would be nice if all FSDOs are this way.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Quote Originally Posted by N404CX View Post
    I spoke with the local FSDO yesterday and was told that there are "14 in the queue" and some were waiting around a year.

What part of the country are you in and how long did you wait for your recently completed FAA inspection? Thanks.
    I'm not there yet, but my understanding is here near Washington DC that there's bascially no wait. Just call and schedule it. I know if I was faced with a wait of more than 60 days I'd bite the bullet and pay for a DAR to do the inspection.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

You need a DAR

You will need to contact a DAR (designated airworthiness representative) . Your local FSDO should have a list of DARs they work with in their office. Find one with experimental amateur-built experience and have him handle the airworthiness certificate paperwork. He will charge you for his work, but you won't have to wait for months to get it done. Your local EAA chapter should also be able to recommend a local DAR to you.

In some areas the FAA will do the inspection and paperwork themselves, but in SoCal we always use DARs. The last time I used one it cost me $600.

In the spring this year I needed to get my project inspected. I called the DuPage FSDO (Chicago area) to get the name of the manager in charge of airworthiness inspections, then sent him a cordial letter inquiring whether they would be able to fit me in. I was pleasantly surprised to get a prompt call back from an inspector who was assigned to my case. I scheduled a visit to the FSDO to go over preliminary paperwork and to find out what the inspector wanted to see when he arrived at my hangar. The inspection happened within two weeks of that appointment and went smoothly. An added bonus was not having to pay for the inspection. Altogether it was a very positive experience.

-- Paul S

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Prizio View Post
    but in SoCal we always use DARs. The last time I used one it cost me $600.
    Guess that's just another advantage of living in the Peoples Republic of California.

If you are in Southern Calif, try Gary Sobek as a DAR; H- (310) 767-1327.
    He did the inspection of my Pulsar in Big Bear.