Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Projects

Multiple Projects

When I got the first flight on my Tango almost seven years ago, I swore I would never build another plane. Never say never!! Within a few years I started looking for another project. A few years ago, I found out that an aircraft I really liked back in the 80s still had plans being sold for it, so I bought a set. I've been working on it from time to time (this is a Mitchell Wing U-2). In the meantime, I bought a basket case project and am in the process of refurbing that (it'll be real nice when it's done!!). Now, just the other day, I found out that plans were available for the MiniMax line of aircraft at no charge. Of course, I had to download a set that appealed to me. There's a real good chance I might start building the 1550V Max sometime next year.

Sheesh!! Talk about an addiction!!! So, anyone else working on multiple projects??
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

Quote Originally Posted by Anymouse View Post
    Sheesh!! Talk about an addiction!!! So, anyone else working on multiple projects??
    I have 2 ancient Aeronca projects waiting until I complete the really old Aeronca project I'm working on. At some point, I need to complete the Hatz project. I'd also like to build a Fly-baby, since I have the plans. Since we have a 20 month old, I should probably think about an RV-10.

Oh, and I still have to do the maintenance and upgrades on my RV-6 and take care of the raising of a 20 month old, while maintaining good relations with my wife.
    Last edited by Kyle Boatright; 08-22-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Sheesh!! At least I'm single with no kids.

BTW... I'm considering the Xenos as well.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    I have trouble keeping up with my Cub and Swift maintenance and annuals.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Quote Originally Posted by Anymouse View Post
    Sheesh!! At least I'm single with no kids.
    My wife is very happy that we met after I'd finished the RV-6. It seems that she would have disapproved of having wings in the master bedroom, the other flying surfaces in an off-bedroom, and the canopy and cowling in the dining room. I still don't understand the problem... ;-)

My wife was a jewel for letting me keep the horizontal stab on the dining room table for the best part of a year. We did have to put it in a spare room on the floor (beds had the control surfaces) for Thanksgiving, though;

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    ...wings in the master bedroom, the other flying surfaces in an off-bedroom, and the canopy and cowling in the dining room.
    You mean this is OK? I've been trying to convince myself I'm not crazy for wanting to turn my master bedroom into a workshop (I'd sleep in the spare room) so I could get started on a Onex. Since my garage is unspeakably hot most of the year, that's a non-starter. I may have to think on this idea some more...
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

I only have the one plane project, but I have multiple car & tractor projects going - accumulating parts as I find them.

It gets hard to stay focused & get things finished.

I am also single & I have parts in pretty much every room. A tripower manifold for a big block ford makes a nice centerpiece for the coffee table.

Also - there is a lot to be said for an air conditioned shop. Mine doubles as a chiller during grape harvest time, gets nice & cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    You mean this is OK? I've been trying to convince myself I'm not crazy for wanting to turn my master bedroom into a workshop (I'd sleep in the spare room) so I could get started on a Onex. Since my garage is unspeakably hot most of the year, that's a non-starter. I may have to think on this idea some more...
    You're single or have roommates who won't care? Then go for it. Though they do sell portable swamp coolers (I'd say in your neck of the woods, but it's more in your part of coyote & roadrunner territory).

I'm on my 3rd airplane project. First one was sold. Second one's flyable, out at the hangar. Third one's in the garage. Once you have the tools...

Working in a non air-conditioned but sometimes swamp-cooled garage in Tucson.
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

How well does your swamp cooler work? I bought one and tried it shortly after I moved here, but found that it only humidified and didn't cool; made conditions in the garage much worse. Found out later (after I'd returned it) that it requires outside air and a ventilated space. Doh! RTFM, I guess...

How big is yours and how do you set it up? Do you lower your garage door partway to seal off most of the opening, leaving space for the cooler and for air to exhaust?
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings