Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying new GPS and would like your input

In my humble opinion, a portable GPS is a supplement to navigation - not the primary tool. That said - my criteria for a portable GPS is pretty basic.
    Wow - I am surprised by the number of iFly responses. I personnally use the the 700 - but as far as I know, I'm the only one at my home base who does. There are lots of Aera users - not a bad choice if cost is not a factor and lots of ipad users - good choice if you are going to use it for other things. Other problems with the iFly - no battery is the big one - I have had problems with the power cord. Also, it seems to refresh fairly slowly (my actual position is a few miles ahead of what is being depicted). Not a big issue for me in that I fly a slow airplane (<150 kts).
    The iFly is expandable - I plan to add ADS-B in to pick up weather.

Just purchased a new AV8OR handheld. My reason for purchase was price. I saved hundreds from what other GPS cost. I picked mine up new for 300 bucks. Its the perfect size for my small panel in my little airplane.
    $35.00 updates, this unit links to a receiver to receive airplane traffic on the screen. Comes with mounts for airplane and car. Super easy to use, works great in the car for traveling. For the 300 bucks I paid its the best 300 bucks I have spent in a long time.
    The gent I got her from has one more for 300 bucks. I might purchase this and give her as a gift to a friend.

H.A.S.

Anyone out there using the new "mini IPad"? I guessing it eliminates the size and mounting issues while still delivering the great software features. I'm looking forward to getting one this spring!

Joe

I have the IFly 720 and love it. One thing I like about the external battery pack is that it keeps the main unit light and compact so the suction cup mount works great. I fly a lot of different airplanes and so far the suction cup mount has worked in all of them. Also the touch screen isn't as sensitive as the Garmins so works a lot better in rough air. It is so intuitive that you can learn all the basic functions in about 15 min, I figured most of it out without looking at the manual. I used a Garmin 510 for awhile and hated it and my friend's 795 is not really that user friendly is bulky and weighs a ton. Don

To me...the ifly and iPad both have readability issues, even with the screen protectors and for that reason I don't like them as a GPS...good to have for review on the ground but that's it...for me. I have an Aera 796...it's connected to a GTX 330 XPDR and GDL 39 for free ADS-B weather and traffic. I have had other gps's and they don't come close to the 796...big screen and very readable in sunlight. You get what you pay for.
    Don...
    BushCaddy N2C
    http://www.donsbushcaddy.com

This thread made me e-mail I-fly and ask a question, which they responded to almost immidiately (I was IMPRESSED!) but alas I was hoping they had included VHF data in their NEMA sentences for pushing the nearest airport freq into my stnadby chanel but they have not. So it looks like my next GPS is a garmin 296. Someday though I still might get one of these they sound sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Racegunz View Post
    This thread made me e-mail I-fly and ask a question, which they responded to almost immidiately (I was IMPRESSED!) but alas I was hoping they had included VHF data in their NEMA sentences for pushing the nearest airport freq into my stnadby chanel but they have not. So it looks like my next GPS is a garmin 296. Someday though I still might get one of these they sound sweet.
    You would pass on the 720 because of this one feature and buy a 296 instead? That's like comparing a Model T with a new Mercedes. I have had no readability issues with my 720 and have used it in 8 different airplanes. Don

I would NOT recommend a 296. I have a 396 that I had to buy in order to comply with ELSA requirements in my RV-12. The 296/396 man-machine interface really stinks. You have press button after button to get what you want...IF you can recall the sequence of buttons to push.

My HP4700 running Anywhere Map is so, so, much easy to use, and its years older....I consider the 396 (just a color version of the 296) to be junk.

I often sense from this board a negative tone toward Garmin products. I have a Garmin 796 touch screen portable on a yoke mount. It is wired to my Panel mount Garmin GTN 650 so when I enter a flight plan into the GTN 650 it automatically goes to the 796. The Garmin 796 is an aviation dedicated GPS and I love it and have XM weather and approach plates on it. I used it for VFR before I got my IFR ticket in November of last year. Now of couse I use it IFR for the approach plates. It is a great portable GPS and I woudl highly recommend it.

I have foreflight on my Ipad and while I love it for flight planning, weather briefs and plan filing on the ground, I do not trust the Ipad in flight except for a backup. I have had the Ipad crash or lock up afew times and the glare in sun light in the cockit is not acceptable to me. In addition, if you are wearing polorized sun glasses, you have to position the Ipad a certain way in order to see the screen. I have none of these problems with the aviation dedicated Garmin 796.

The garmin products are expensive but if you can aford the cost, I save for it, then they are well worth the investment. Just my input but the Aviation dedicated GPS wins everytime for in flight use over the ipad, it is not even close.

I would agree with the 796 recommendation. I have been using the 796 since it came out and have it mounted using the Air Gizmos dock. I also fly with Foreflight as a backup on the iPad and a secondary backup on the iPhone. Some positives of the 796 are of course the integration of both XM weather and radio for long cross countries. I am looking at ADSB options vice XM and perhaps the GDL 39 when all the towers are up in the states. Colorado just recently got coverage. I really like the terrain mapping feature of the 796. Flying in CO, NM, AZ, that feature can really be handy. The faux syn viz (no ADAHRS) is cool in some cases when approaching new airports. I have used the 796 on flights from Colorado Springs to Sebring FL, OSH, Tucson as well as a few shorter cross countries since buying it. I like the iPad but in a low wing with all the sun the canopy lets in, it just can't compare to the clarity of the 796 screen.

There have been a few speed bumps on the 796. Initially they had some issues of the unit randomly restarting if you pinched and zoomed too much. They have put out a few system software releases to fix those issues. It is a bit expensive but I think worth it. Updating the charts and other mapping products via the Garmin website is kind of buggy using a Mac and Garmin took a while to release a "fix" for the latest Mac OS. Lastly calling Garmin's tech support has proven to be a less than desirable experience. That said, I met with an engineer who worked on the 796 at Sun N Fun and the guy was absolutely great and very knowledgable.

To me the 796 is the go to GPS unit. It replaced a 496 in my LSA and the difference is like night and day.

Carl