Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying new GPS and would like your input

Banned

Buying new GPS and would like your input

It's time for me to upgrade my current GPS. I'm a self-proclaimed techno idiot who doesn't have much interest in avionic gadgets and even less in reading gadget manuals. So I would appreciate your help and informed opinions on identifying the perfect GPS for me based on this personality profile and the following essential requirements:
    • Portable
    • Touchscreen, moving map
    • Larger size for easy, bright readability including in sunlight
    • Highly intuitive and extremely simple and easy to use so that the manual is almost redundant
    • Expandable
    • Fast and easy to update data
    • Price is not a factor as it is less important than the above requirements

I have done my own research and have narrowed my search down to 3 possibilities. Your input is much appreciated in helping me to make an informed and wise choice. Thanks!

You're not going to give us any hints as to what you've narrowed it down to?

You'd be hard pressed to beat the iPad with your choice of a number of programs (ForeFlight, WingX, Garmin Pilot, etc...) I use ForeFlight and haven't even seen the manual. You won't get one easier to update/subset the data. When the software improves, it's easily updated as well.

iFly720

I currently use the iFly 700 ( haven't upgraded to the new 720 - yet ). It works very well. I back that up for charts, weather, A/FD, etc ( and moving map GPS also ) with a Samsung Tab 10.1. My tab is on the Verizon network so I can check weather, etc anytime I stop even if the FBO is closed. Both are very easy to use/update and much cheaper purchase and keep updated. I do find that the 10.1 is a bit large for my cockpit though ( C-150 ). I am considering downsizing the 10" to the 7" version.

well, there are a few choices - depends on how leading edge you want to go.
    Bendix King is slipping out of their AV8OR series and the ACE can be found lightly used for under $500. In fact you might find a new one for that. It meets the majority of your list.
    Garmin has a few products but I am not a fan of them in general - Just my personal preference and I have little knowledge of their line of units.
    The ipad has really taken off. A recent AOPA survey has 52% of pilots (reporting) say they use it in their flying. 2.5 years after introduction. It has a number of apps that support flight operation as well as thousands of others. If anything the ipad ( IMHO) is too versatile. With ability to have lots of clutter to work through.
    Andriod based tablets are just a half step behind on applications available for their OS.
    All tablets are needing an external GPS chip ( a la Bad Elf ) to be consistently reliable.
    The ipad is sometimes difficult to see in bright sun and it is really a large footprint that may be difficult to "mount" somewhere. Much depends on how much room you have in the cockpit , stick or yoke, open space on the panel ...etc.
    Since this is a techie topic you will get lots of replies ...

I am using an iPad 2 running WingX and love it. I have a Cherokee and have the iPad mounted with a Ram yoke mount right in front of me. My iPad is the 3G version with the built in GPS receiver. I have an external bluetooth GPS receiver, but never use it because the internal one works great for me. If your airplane has a bubble canopy you might want to try out an iPad before going that route to check out readability in the sun. I don't have any problems reading mine since I have a ceiling over me. The nice thing about the iPad based programs like WingX and Foreflight is the ease of updating. WingX warns me when any items are about to expire. Updates are provided free with your subscription and are very easy to download. The other nice thing about going with one of the iPad apps is that they are constantly updating and adding new features to these programs. So far, all of my program updates have been included in my subscription price. At $100 a year it sure provides a lot of bang for the buck.

The other good thing about going with the iPad apps is they all have a 30 day free trial period so you can give them a try to see which one you like the best. All of them are great but you will want to see which one fits your personal flying needs the best.

In my experience, while I absolutely love the iPad and Foreflight, it is almost always too large for any airplane I fly in, especially that one there on the left <<==.

I have an iFly 700, and plan to upgrade to an iFly 720 soon. The 720 is the right size for me (doesn't obscure any instruments, and isn't bulky), and it meets all of your stated requirements, including having a transflective screen (like the Fujitsu tablets), that makes daylight readability amazing.

That's my choice!

Best regards,
    Chris
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

"The other good thing about going with the..." ifly700/720... when your "charts" expire... it still works, you can still plan a flight, GPS tracking, etc.. it ALL works. When your subscription(s) for the ipad service expire, the application stops working.
    I have the ifly720 hanging on my panel and use for every flight. I like it secured where I have it, because in turbulence I can rest my hand on the top of the panel, to keep my finger from bouncing around, and still touch the screen to do what I need to do. When I recently flew on a 2400 mile round trip cross country... I purchased a 3mo subscription to Foreflight to use for preflight planning for the weeks in advance (weather, routing, airport selection, alternates, etc....) while sitting on the couch. Used it "some" in flight. I kept the ipad right next to me, and if I needed to look for an alternate airport, or some particular information on our destination or whatever, I would pull the ipad out (my digital chart information tool) and find what I needed. Meanwhile, my ifly700 continued to show me all my current information.

my $.02

Bryan

iFly

I highly recommend the iFly. I wouldn't trade mine for three Garmins! So easy to use, and they are constantly improving them by implementing user requests.