Thread: Newbie in Oklahoma looking forward to flying again.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Newbie in Oklahoma looking forward to flying again.

Hello all:I'm a private pilot and hold a A&P certificate but I haven't flown for 10 years. I'm going to be buying some land and a home in the country soon and I'd love to be able to operate my own UL or LSA from my back yard. Anybody from my local area? (SW OKC) Its been so long since I thought I could afford to fly I almost don't know where/how to get started. What's changed? Any advice would be appreciated and cordial greetings from anyone greatly appreciated. God bless America! Where else can a country boy that only ever dreamed of flying actually operate from his own back yard without being a millionaire?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanps71 View Post
    Hello all:I'm a private pilot and hold a A&P certificate but I haven't flown for 10 years. I'm going to be buying some land and a home in the country soon and I'd love to be able to operate my own UL or LSA from my back yard. Anybody from my local area? (SW OKC) Its been so long since I thought I could afford to fly I almost don't know where/how to get started. What's changed? Any advice would be appreciated and cordial greetings from anyone greatly appreciated. God bless America! Where else can a country boy that only ever dreamed of flying actually operate from his own back yard without being a millionaire?
    I have been flying from a strip on my farm for 14 years and I have been retired the last 10 years. There is nothing better than having your airplane 3 minutes from your front door. Usually no problem if land is zoned agriculture. Some states require that N-numbered aircraft be operated only from registered private airstrips that meet minimum clearance and size requirements. Illinois is one such state but it is rarely enforced unless you are flying conventional GA planes out of the cow pasture.

Happy thanks

That's an important consideration. Ill check into it before I proceed. I can't imagine an aviation centric state like Oklahoma would restrict flight operations off of private property but it bears investigation. If anybody from Oklahoma can Chime in here I'd appreciate it. I've dreamed of flying out of my own back yard all my life so hopefully I will find that it is allowed. Heck if my local sheriff will sign off on an batf form 4 for me I bet a small airplane will be no issue. :-)

Hey neighbor:
    I live at Twin Lakes (2OK2). I'm at SE 134th & Choctaw Rd. Give me a call (405) 417-6077, we need to go flying. My brother & I own a C-150, & he built an RV9A. Both are hangared at my house. It's 20' from my house to my hangar.

Wow thanks. That's a tremendously neighborly offer. Ill call this afternoon and maybe we can set up something for labor day weekend.

If the number I gave you goes to voice mail, use (405) 370-0744. The first number is a Sprint # & it doesn't work worth hoot in my shop. But the other # is Nextel and works great.

Labor day WE sound great.

Marshall