Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need quick answer; Drop tanks on a warbird

Sorry I can't give the reference, but I believe the issue is not be capable of being dropped in flight. We have removable drop tanks on our Mig-17, Mig-21 and Sabre. We sometimes fly to airshows with the tanks on, remove the tanks for the show and then put them back on for the flight home. Removable vs. droppable.
    Gennaro

Thank you. The way I understand it from Roush is a match for your reply. They have to be undroppable in flight but can be removed from the aircraft by ground crew.
    Makes perfect sense. I'm sure this is covered somewhere by regulation or advisory. My main interest is finding this official source if possible.
    DH

Drop Tanks

The only thing I can find is in the CFAR in the following section. But it is ambiguous as to whether or not you actually have to permanently attach items or not, or just make sure they don't fall off. Hope that helps.

§ 91.15 Dropping objects. No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.

Thanks much. This helps a bit.
    DH

But it does not answer the question raised about "bolting" something on. It seems to me that keeping the safety pins in place (less the red streamers) would accomplish the same thing.

Seems to answer the question. Apparently as long as the externals can't be jettisoned in flight they are legal. I'm still assuming that the tanks do not have to literally become a permanently attached "Part" of the airframe if installed.
    DH

It is very common for warbirds that are licensed "Experimental Exhibition" to have the "bolted in place" order on the list of operating limitations.

Thanks much for the input. Helpful !
    DH