Thread: Need quick answer; Drop tanks on a warbird

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Need quick answer; Drop tanks on a warbird

Hi;

I need some information please ASAP. I understand drop tanks have to be bolted on permanently and made undroppable, but can someone steer me to the exact regulation or advisory that deals with this situation?

Area of concern is whether a drop tank installation on a P51 can involve a bolted on mount (release impossible in flight) BUT the mount made so that the tanks can be removed and replaced easily on the ground. In other words, does "bolted on" mean "BOLTED ON!!!"

Many thanks for your assistance.
    Dudley Henriques

I know that at least one of the P-51s out there has it set up so that the drop tanks can be replaced with fake bombs (not to be dropped obviously). If memory serves, it is the one that Jack Roush owns (owned?). I've seen it equipped with both. I don't know if this helps or not.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    I know that at least one of the P-51s out there has it set up so that the drop tanks can be replaced with fake bombs (not to be dropped obviously). If memory serves, it is the one that Jack Roush owns (owned?). I've seen it equipped with both. I don't know if this helps or not.
    Thanks for the reply. Actually, got some input from Roush via Jim Beasley on the issue yesterday. Roush said they had to be bolted on and not dropped which I expected. What I forgot to ask was whether the tanks could be easily taken off the aircraft and put on the aircraft while on the ground. In other words do the tanks have to become a permanent part of the aircraft or are they simply made non- releasable in flight but can be removed at will on the ground.

I'm assuming they can be removed and as such are an "optional item" on the airplane. Only reason I'm perusing what should be a common sense logical answer to the question is that I've been dealing with the FAA now for fifty years and nothing in the way of illogical regulation would surprise me so I want to be sure I have it straight :-)))
    DH

In other words do the tanks have to become a permanent part of the aircraft or are they simply made non- releasable in flight but can be removed at will on the ground.
    Not so far as I am aware. Maybe a call to the local FSDO would settle it?
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    Not so far as I am aware. Maybe a call to the local FSDO would settle it?
    Already in the equation. No answer as yet. :-))

What is your source for this requirement?

I am guessing that something similar might be required for anything mounted on a weapons pylon?