Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Idea: Traveling Chapter Leaders Academy

Regionalal Chapter Directors instead of Leadership Academy

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Janz View Post
    This is excellent. I just wanted to chime in. Jeff Skiles and I are looking at taking the Chapter Leadership Academy on the road. Many chapters cannot afford to send their leaders to Oshkosh for the weekend workshop. We are considering breaking the country down by regions...having a Chapter host the "Leadership Academy"...and then invite other EAA Chapters within a certain mile radius.

Any thoughts?
    No offense, but I think that headquarters would probably stand to learn quite a bit more from chapter leaders than vice-versa. I do not know many chapter leaders who wait to be told what to do, since they generally have a lifetime of leading businesses, families, community organizations, etc.

What IS needed however are experienced chapter leaders to serve as regional directors to keep chapters motivated, help them communicate with each other, and provide ideas. Since they are local, they can react quicker and already have well-established networks. The EAA already does this with YE Field Coordinators, with its freelance ad salespeople, and the AOPA has done this for years. The recently re-established Sport Aviation Association (from Paul P.) is quickly setting up state representatives to help tap into existing networks. Why not pay these regional directors on pure commission based on member and chapter retention as well as chapter and member growth? It will only be a net plus for the organization nationally and locally.

I attended the chapter leaders academy the same time as Jim (Hi Jim), and echo his sentiments. It would seem to me that both mobile LA AND Oshkosh LA could be accomplished. Our chapter has the feeling that EAA HQ has really forgotten about us way down here off the beaten path. Although the LA was extremely valuable to me, and well worth the plane fare, not everyone is willing to furnish the time and money it takes to attend. Perhaps the same money spent to bring the teachers to us, could be spent on furnishing plane fare assistance to chapter leaders. My job as chapter president would be so much easier if all the chapter officers could attend, it should be a prerequisite for being elected to the post.

I wholeheartedly agree that much of the connection I have felt from the two sessions(OK I'm spoiled rotten) i have attended has been rhe interaction with EAA staff and the "behind the scenes" tours are priceless.
    I am fortunate to live within an easy flight of OSH, and volunteer during Airventure so I already knew many of the staff, but getting to know them outside the pressure of the main event brings a better appreciation of both the commitment of EAA staff, and their level of dedication to supporting chapters and individual members. I think replicating that experience would be very difficult in the field.
    Perhaps a partnership with the airlines to offer significant fare discounts would help make travel to Oshkosh more palatable.

Some 15 years ago (maybe longer) there was a traveling Leadership program. Several of us at EAA 96 in the L.A. area attended one in San Diego. Attending the program at OSH is great, but more of our leaders can be reached if you go out to them. Many will never take the time nor spend the money to get to the program in OSH. Jack Kenton

I propose 2 Leadership programs. Fixed and mobile.
    OSH – leave it as it is – a fabulous experience. Connecting with the staff and national chapter members
    Mobile - has a slightly different focus. Chapter members working together on their needs in breakout sessions
    Instead of one or two chapter members to OSH bring 4-5+ to the mobile.
    Larger format – 60-80 attendees. Networking with regional leaders ( collaborative)

All hands - common to all critical knowledge/skills topics and keynote
    · The big picture – key note
    · Changing times
    · The lost to computers generation – recruitment
    · Developing collaborative relations between chapters
    The three legged stool ( actually 6 legs )

Breakouts -
    · Fund raising
    · More recruitment
    · NP incorporation
    · Newsletters
    · Programs
    · Media relations
    · YE/E program
    · Community outreach
    · Volunteers
    · Brain storming
    · Websites
    · …….?

Thank you again for all the feedback. Please keep it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffelfinger View Post
    All hands - common to all critical knowledge/skills topics and keynote
    · The big picture – key note
    · Changing times
    · The lost to computers generation – recruitment
    · Developing collaborative relations between chapters
    The three legged stool ( actually 6 legs )

Breakouts -
    · Fund raising
    · More recruitment
    · NP incorporation
    · Newsletters
    · Programs
    · Media relations
    · YE/E program
    · Community outreach
    · Volunteers
    · Brain storming
    · Websites
    All good, but I think there are two important topics omitted:

EAA's 5-10 year plan
    Chapter's 5-10 year plan

Hopefully, both plans will be complimentary. Some of the current discourse has come due to lack of communications and not understanding the goals and direction of the organization. Planning needs to be a top down dialogue. Planning from the bottom up (i.e. focusing on all the great tasks that you've outlined) yields great delivery of those tasks, but may yield mixed results in regards to any long term plan.

For example, do you want to attract and retain homebuilders, GA pilots, GA owners, formation flyers, aerobatic flyers, vintage restoration folks, aviation enthusiasts, etc.? The strategies and programs you build may be different depending on your goals and objectives. It's hard to develop a program, specifically at the local level that is all things to all folks.

Obviously, there is no "right" answer to any of these questions, but it does create some interesting dialogue when you hear other's views. I've held several leadership positions in a rather large chapter. I'm sad to say that we failed by attempting to be all things to all people and didn't do everything we attempted well. In retrospect, I think it may be better to a smaller chapter that specializes in one or two areas that be a large chapter that just kind of flounders through them all. Getting a lot of people to join a chapter doesn't mean anything if you can't keep people engaged and happy. They will eventually quit going to meetings.

Because of my experience, I very much endorse the traveling meetings and getting multiple chapters from the region to participate. On a side note for Trevor, if you need assistance in organizing anything in the central Ohio area, I am more than happy to volunteer.

bob
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

This is a great idea. I think that sharing ideas among chapters is beneficial to all, but traveling to Oshkosh is a little pricey. If it ever comes to Northern California, count me in. If it ever comes to Redding, we can arrange a meeting place and whatever else is needed.
    Jim Bremer
    Chapter 157
    Redding, CA