Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Idea: Traveling Chapter Leaders Academy

Soo now that we know duplicating the L.A. program would not be the same...
    I think some kind of a tour could be of great benefit - in a different way.
    As chapters age out, many are no longer able to do all the activities "in house" as before. Chapter collaboration, thought pooling of talent and volunteers by a number of chapters, might be a 'shot in the arm' for the whole. Facilitating /Developing chapter connections could be a great benefit.
    The added publicity of a regional tour might get a greater number of chapter members involved. Creating synergy. Kind of like a tent revival meeting for engagement in chapter activities.
    Thoughts to build on....

[QUOTE=Jeff Point;21678]Jim H. hit it on the head. I was shocked at the number of people in the bus who had never even been to Oshkosh before (and these are all chapter leaders.)

Chapter leaders are frequently still involved in other activities such as careers, families, sports, and have a hard time getting away in the middle of the summer. The ones with time on their hands to travel are commonly not members of the board - I know it sounds strange but a poll would bea me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffelfinger View Post
    *snip* Chapter collaboration, thought pooling of talent and volunteers by a number of chapters, might be a 'shot in the arm' for the whole. Facilitating /Developing chapter connections could be a great benefit.
    The added publicity of a regional tour might get a greater number of chapter members involved. Creating synergy. Kind of like a tent revival meeting for engagement in chapter activities.
    Thoughts to build on....
    Like this? http://nteaaco.org/ We're far from being able to say it's the best thing going, but we're on a good start. Still have the issue of the more senior members being able to travel the distance between Dallas & Ft Worth (not the distance, the road warriors). This September has our first joint effort with a public event, so we'll see how things turn out.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

I almost hate to say this, but I will - EAA is NOT national headquarters - it IS the chapters. While the select few who get to go to Osh for a leaders acadamy probably get a great deal out of the trip and the connection with the roots of the organiazation, it might also be good for the leadership to get in touch with the GRASSroots of the organization by getting the show out in the field to see what is the real EAA. Getting chapter leaders together on a regional basis just might have some positive side effects even without the glitz and glamour of a shindig at National with all its impressive features. Problems, advantages, needs and abilities are more likely to be regional in nature ....just a thought....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Yes Carl, Exactly !
    My chapter tried a swap meet including all the area chapters - it was not as we hoped. We will do it again, trying to establish a regular opportunity to connect with fellow EAA members outside of our chapter. Luckily we have the funding stream to support a loosing event. But not forever.

Jerry you are right, EAA is local, but the thread begs the answer to what can national do to bolster the chapter engagement?
    If the chapters were healthy there would be limited reason for LA or this thread. Not the case in the big picture.
    I was really impressed at the PR effort to get Rod out and about to the regional areas. It was a good thing IMHO as the "masses" were concerned about the non-family member change. Especially since Tom has really stepped out of the spot lights.

Going to LA is not expensive for the chapter... just plane fare and many of those who were at my LA were self sponsored. It's under $800 in today's dollars from Sacramento. There is real value to the LA program - beyond the words written here. I encourage those who care about their chapters future step up and sign up for the next LA date.
    http://www.cla.eaachapter.org/schedule.htm

jim

Are you still going to have some of the leadership academies at OSH? That's part of the fun, to be able to walk the grounds, tour the museum, etc.
    No answer to my question?

Hello Smitty,

Yes, we will be having a Chapter Leadership Academy here in Oshkosh this October 26-28th. http://cla.eaachapter.org/

Jeff Skiles and I are working on taking the Leadership Academy on the road for the Fall of 2012 and Spring of 2013. We are considering dividing the country into regions and having a regional chapter academy and invite all chapter leaders within that region to the weekend academy. Will keep you posted.

We do plan on heading out to the West Coast and are working out our travel schedule for 2012 and 2013.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me directly at tjanz@eaa.org

Blue skies,

Trevor

I think taking the program on the road would be good for chapters a long distance away (maybe > 800 miles). Many participants would still have the expense of a hotel room for a couple of nights. The biggest downside I see would be the reduced exposure to the staff since there would be a limited number of people travelling from Oshkosh. Hearing from Brenda, Dick, Tom (now Rod), and of course Audrey and Paul was very informative.
    Have you done a report that may show areas of the country that are underserved? Put the cities of past participants into an online map, and compare it to the map in the Founder's Wing. (Although my chapter is in Vermont there.)

Thank you very much for the feedback. Valuable feedback.

At this time, we were not planning on canceling the Oshkosh Academy. Completely agree that it is the experience of being in Oshkosh without all the people during convention and an opportunity to meet wtih Paul and see the museum, Pioneer Airport etc etc.

We do want to be able to travel more and visit chapters this fall and into next year...and the years to come.

This is the type of feedback we need, prior to making a decision here at HQ. To be honest....my feeling is that we jump the gun...make a decision...without even asking our Chapters.

Thank you again for taking the time to give feedback. Much appreciated!

Trevor

The idea is not a new one. I attended a Chapter Leaders Workshop at Lake Elmo, MN. It was very good but lacked the depth that would have been available if there were more of the EAA staff on hand to answer questions that were not in the speaker's area of expertise. Chapter event insurance is an area that should be covered in depth and with explanations of how and why certain things are done or required. Risk Management should be represented. Someone from Membership should be there to answer recruiting questions.

At times I have wished I could attend the workshop but as I am no longer and officer I am not invited. There are often others in a chapter that are in key roles that should also be attending the workshops. Young Eagles Coordinators, event coordinators and membership coordinators could benefit from many of the topics covered at the workshops. The entire operation of a chapter is intertwined between all the coordinators as well as the general membership. Perhaps some information could be printed or developed as a audio/visual presentation for the chapter members so they better understand the workings of their chapter and the EAA. Some chapter officers aren't aware of the Technical Counselor or the Flight Advisers programs. New chapter officers should receive a book, not a booklet or a brochure, explaining the programs available and their responsibilities as a chapter officer. There is so much to be had from EAA that will benefit chapters that a once a month e-mail won't cover all of it. However, officers should automatically be put on that e-mail list.

EAA chapters are the real core of the EAA. Imagine, if you will, the EAA without any chapters. It would be a monument in a "Field of Dreams." Just because you build it does not mean people will come. That only happens in the movies.

Travel is expensive and finding the time on a particular week end may not be possible for some. A two day workshop 2500 miles from home becomes a four or five day trip.

At the Lake Elmo workshop a prize was given for the attendee who had flown the furthest to be there. The winner had flown a commercial flight from California. Someone from EAA raised the question of his eligibility. The audience agreed that he qualified and he was awarded the prize.

Lyle Peterson
    EAA Chapter 237
    EAA #269676