Thread: Member Photo Board

Member Photo Board

I've had several people request that we establish some sort of photo board at our chapter hangar for the purpose of identifying fellow members. My recommendation was that everyone join the chapter web site and provide a photo with their profile, but that isn't likely to happen any time soon. I keep having thoughts (nightmares) of a BIG board with wallet sized photos... no, that won't work... 3 x 5s with name tags that would have to be moved continuously as we acquire new photos or new members. I think we had ~120 members at last check, many of which we rarely see, but none the less the board would have to be HUGE! Seasonal temps, humidity, etc. would surely cause problems over time... plus, I can just imagine a nice gust of Oklahoma wind playing 52-card... no, 120-card pick up with our member board unless it were under glass. In addition to that, I get the feeling that those making these recommendations are suggesting that I make all of this happen. Comments like, "it would be easy, just use a digital camera and..." Yeah, the digital camera part is relatively easy, but the stuff AFTER shooting the photos is where it gets difficult. I've recommended to these individuals that they form a group to accomplish this project... their desire (or lack of) indicates the level of importance... so I've placed the same priority on it. Ok, enough of that, you get the idea.

Question... Does anyone else do this? If so, how are you displaying/managing/etc.?

One of my thoughts was to have a chapter computer available at our hangar... that way we could create an electronic catalog (along with other things) that might be helpful to members, prospective members, Young Eagles/Eagles events, presentation purposes, etc. Unfortunately, no one finds these ideas useful.

Comments? Recommendations?

Thanks at advance!

Hi, Mark;

Chapter 34 has their mug book online. Since our regular meetings are held at the airport, but not at the Chapter Hangar, the photo board in a physical sense doesn't make sense for us.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Thanks Carl... I would prefer an online or at least an electronic book. We don't have web access at our hangar, and probably won't any time soon, so it would have to be a local file or catalog... and that would only be useful if we had a PC available. Arrrgh... seems so hard to bring us into the 21st century.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    Hi, Mark;

Chapter 34 has their mug book online. Since our regular meetings are held at the airport, but not at the Chapter Hangar, the photo board in a physical sense doesn't make sense for us.

Hi, Mark;

I guess I don't understand the logistics / infrastructure issue.

We don't have the access at the hangar, either. We just use a digital camera, take the folks' photos at our chapter meetings, then upload them later.

Or is it that you want to be able to SEE the pics in the hangar? Yeah, I guess if that's the issue, then I get it. You could always tell them snarkily to look it up on their phones! :-O

If that *is* the limiting factor, then I can see where it still wouldn't be that easy, since you're probably not going to leave the PC booted up 24/7 anyways. If someone wants to look at someone, they'd have to power it up, navigate to the site/folder, etc., and then look at 'em.

Here's a possible workaround: Have a regular cork bulletin board, and print-out the photos on plain ol' copier paper (6 or 8 to a page), and pin 'em up. That way, you could refresh it each year/quarter/whatever without going thru a lot of expense.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Right Carl... many want something at the hangar to look at and say, "hey, who is that?" I like the book idea... that could be compiled into a database with our membership information. I already do this to track mailing and contact info... could just attach the appropriate photo and generate "Member Photos" report, which could also be customized to include basic contact and project info. I like that... I think I'll consider that approach. Thanks for the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    Hi, Mark;

I guess I don't understand the logistics / infrastructure issue.

We don't have the access at the hangar, either. We just use a digital camera, take the folks' photos at our chapter meetings, then upload them later.

Or is it that you want to be able to SEE the pics in the hangar? Yeah, I guess if that's the issue, then I get it. You could always tell them snarkily to look it up on their phones! :-O