Thread: Missing plane keys @ AirVenture

Missing plane keys @ AirVenture

On Monday at AirVenture I needed to get something out my aircraft in the GAP area. A few hours later, I realized that I had lost the keys. Two small keys on a small key chain. Oh well, that's what duplicates are for.

When I got home, a friend suggested I email the lost & found in the unlikely chance that someone found the keys and dropped them off. Not really expecting a minor miracle of sorts, I emailed EAA.

To my amazement I received a quick reply.

"We have your keys. Shall we mail them or would you rather drop by?"

Thank you to whoever picked them up and to EAA!

I read a similar story in SA a while back (a couple of years). A guy had lost his wallet with EVERYTHING in it. Not really expecting much, but went to lost & found. Wallet was there along with the several $$$$$ he had in it. Not one thing missing.
    I've known this sort of thing to be true with EAAers for years. Even though there's lots of bitching & moaning on here about lots of things. But the people, are still, as a rule, good people.

We found an iPad sitting on the tail of our SNJ this past year at Oshkosh and turned it in to the Warbirds HQ, not sure if it was ever reunited with its owner....

On my way to drop of some first time AirVenture visitors to their car and in the commotion of loading my truck i placed my own iPad on the roof of my GMC and proceeded to drive to the Pick n Save where they left their car.

I didnt realize i had lost it until i got a phone call from a lady named Margaret who had found it laying on the ground near the entrance to Pick n Save, where there happened to be a huge pothole; undoubtedly what knocked it off the roof...

Karma is real

A small suggestion along this line is: Don't put anything on the roof of your car. If you have something in your hand when you are getting in your car, and need somewhere to sit it while you get out your keys or unlock the door, either put in under your arm or sit it in the hood. If you put it on the hood, then hopefully you will see it there when you are sitting in the car and before you drive off.

Here in Aspen, one of our 4 ski areas is just on the outskirts of town, and right under the final approach path to rwy 33 at the airport. Many days I drive by the entrance to the parking lot at Butttermilk ski area, (named after the milk they used to serve at lunch to miners there), and in the winter, probably once a month, I see a ski glove lying in the highway. It is usually a right glove since most people are right handed or maybe left handed people are less absentminded, but I have never found only a left glove. What happens is that visitors from big cities are used to locking their cars, so they come down after a day of skiing, maybe even had a beer, and go to the car. They put their right glove on the roof, and get the keys out of their pocket, and then drive off. The glove usually falls off as they make the turn onto the highway. I have found a whole ski on the road for folks that forgot to close their ski rack. Last year I needed a new pair of gloves, and found some good ones, and no one claimed them at lost and found so I'll use them this year.
    They could easily put the glove on the hood or under their arm while unlocking the door, but many don't.

By the way, don't tie your dog the roof either, especially if you are running for Pres, or you will be the butt of many jokes on Leno and on Saturday Night Live!

By the way, if any of you are skiers, I think we have the best ski area of anywhere here. Buttermilk is the best beginner and learning area I have ever seen, is where I learned and my kids did, one who made the regional junior Olympic team.

We have 4 separate ski areas each with their own features in our one valley. For Texans and nosewheel pilots there is Snowmass, big and mostly moderate, and for the dive bomber types Highlands with some seriously double black terrain, which sadly my knees are getting a little old for, and Aspen Mt right in town for some see and be seen types. Not much snow yet, but it usually comes. It has been great flying weather lately.

Ski update, just got about 2 inches of new snow over the weekend, and is pretty cold, but sunny and blue skies.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 11-12-2012 at 10:43 AM.