Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: glad this didn't happen during Airventure

glad this didn't happen during Airventure

this TFR thing has gotten out of hand !!!
    check out todays TFRs
    http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr_map_ims/html/.../tile_3_2.html

You have got to be kidding! ?

President in the area or what would the reason be for them?

Presisdent Super Bus tour around Iowa..UGH!

In this age of the Internet and infinite TV channels, I really wish both candidates would just stay home and do all this via electronic town halls. It is monumentally expensive to protect the candidates, it inconveniences a lot of people, not just pilots, and is generally just a pain.

The other advantage for the candidates is that their message could be stated plainly in one location. Plus, the likelihood of a baby making a mess out of an expensive suit goes down considerably.
    Anxiety is nature's way of telling you that you've already goofed up.

I was going to post this the day they announced Ryan as VP, but I said to my wife, "I hope that *someone* from the Wisconsin delegation can exert some influence to PLEASE keep Mr. Ryan out of Wisconsin the last week in July (if he and his partner are elected). Talk about a real downer to trying to make the Ripon/Fiske approach....

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

I tend to be a fan of irony... Let's say in the future 'a' President flew in to visit with his general aviation constituency at Airventure to show his support. Would that mean that no one else would be able to fly in? (Tongue firmly in cheek) :-)

The buggers had our little airport shut all day a couple weeks ago. Are they THAT scared of us? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rosenow View Post
    I tend to be a fan of irony... Let's say in the future 'a' President flew in to visit with his general aviation constituency at Airventure to show his support. Would that mean that no one else would be able to fly in? (Tongue firmly in cheek) :-)
    Jim,
    Irony was quite apparent to most of us who attended the "Celebration of Flight" at Kitty Hawk in 2003. All of the flight activity planned in commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the Wright Brothers flight was cancelled due to the presence of the President. The Wright Flier replica's attempted flight was apparently not deemed a threat, so it was allowed.

Out of hand, I agree, don't see much we can do about it either.

I'm sure the EAA's Government Relations department works this problem very diligently in the months before AirVenture. They know who to remind that thousands of voters will be converging on Wisconsin in little airplanes toward the end of July. These obnoxious TFRs have been going on for more than ten years and I don't think it's ever been an issue for AirVenture.