Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Not kicking the family pet - Just asking the Question

Well, the question is what costs do you apportion to a "YE passenger carried" and how much of it is things like scholarship and how much of the foundation overhead you apportion to belonging to YE. Frankly, if you make wild guess that they fly 80,000 YE a year (the YE site says 1.6M since 1992), and divide that into the overall foundation annual (2011) budget of 2.6 Million, it works out to $32/child flown. If you're willing to realize the foundation does other things (like the museum, other educational actiivities, etc...) it's going to be less.

Thank you gentlemen,
    As a new member I found this thread very interesting and informative.

Jeff, I appreciate your comments, questions, and the opportunity to provide better understanding. There are several topics mixed into your comments. Might be easier to take the Gathering first. The costs to produce the Gathering of Eagles fall below the national average of 30% - running about $450,000 to provide a unique experience to nearly 1100 people. The Allocation Plan of the remaining $2.1 million includes $1.3 million to Young Eagles Flight Plan (First Flight, Next Step, Flight Awards, Insurance, Promotion, website, newsletters, certificates, Student Membership - currently, over 15,000 youth have been given free EAA membership, Young Eagles Credits of $150,000, IT support, outreach and more with the remaining $800,000 allocated to Museum Youth Education, supporting Air Academy, Scholarship initiatives, WomenSoar, AirVenture Museum programming/exhibits/web/Space Week, Flight Link and more. The Gathering is a critical part of our fund raising goals. I'd be happy to talk with you further if you have additional questions.
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 09-06-2012 at 02:52 PM.
    Elissa Lines, EAA #740373
    Vice President, Donor and Business Relations

Thank you Elissa Lines for your candid response to the Gathering of Eagles event. The costs of fund raising needed for such a high profile event is considerable. Right at $400/pp. Since EAA owns the building venue fees are quite limited, Cessna is title sponsor and most likely pays for the food, The 3 Painters fee is commonly either covered or near covered by the sale of the art they create.
    I also appreciate the information on dispersal of funds for the YE/Youth programs that support the next generation of aviators
    Since the original mission of YE has had considerable creep in the last 20 years, has there been a revised mission and five year plan for the program and how the Eagles program will interlace with its mission? I have not seen it in print anywhere.
    Finally – I get Jeff a lot. Seems as though the Jim and Heffelfinger blurr together quite commonly.
    Thank you again
    Jim Heffelfinger
    VP C52 Sacramento, CA