Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
All of the health issues that result from contact with various substances require two factors to actually create a problem. First, the one that we worry about, is the material itself and its properties. The second is length of exposure.

In the case of smoke oil, it is at its worst only mildly toxic. It is actually formulated as a concrete form release oil. I believe that it is commonly used in construction and if it was a contact hazard, OSHA would be all over it.

Then there is length of exposure. IF you make a point of going to lots and lots of airshows and positioning yourself so that you breath the maximum amount, you might get yourself a respiratory problem. For all of the other airshow spectators, the exposure is very very small. The performers get the most exposure as it is common for the airplane to suck the smoke into the cockpit through any openings in the lower tail. No reports of awful health issues that can be traced to breathing vaporized Canopus oil.

Any alternative is much more expensive. And Canopus oil is not cheap as it is.

Wingtip smokes are all pyrotechnic to the best of my knowledge. All of the smoke generators that I have used combust inside the canister and get very hot externally while making smoke. Do NOT recommend them for casual use.

Regards,

Wes
N78PS
Wes, that may be true but there is a third factor you have not included in your comment and that's what I refer to as immersion exposure. As you say, the effects of a small dose of a lightly toxic substance on occasion is not a great danger in itself, but there is so much toxicity in our environment already, that occasional exposure is no longer an adequate measure of heath risk level.
The entire world and a good deal of space in and around the earth has been tainted by man and there is no escape from it. We are all immersed in toxic substances whether we like it or not. How all those compounds interact is yet to be understood. Air show smoke is nice to look at but in fact just one more violation on our environment. Will mother nature evolve beyond all this toxicity?