Thread: Flying a Chief

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Flying a Chief

Hello-
    Looking into the possibility of purchasing an Aeronca Chief 11AC. I've heard many good things about them, but one owner was telling me how unreliable the 65HP Continential is. He said that it could ice up at any moment (he would periodically pull carb heat in cruise) and it was also not a good idea to land with no power (I usually cut power on downwind abeam the numbers and glide in). He said that this could cause the engine to quit, and not enough altitude and speed in the pattern to allow for a restart.
    Is there any merit to these comments, or was he a little paranoid?
    Thanks for any insight...
    Michael

Small Continentals are notorious for carb ice. Not so much at cruise, though.

If the engine quits on final, something is wrong. However, you do need to advance the throttle slowly from idle, or it may stumble or quit.

Quote Originally Posted by mjr View Post
    Looking into the possibility of purchasing an Aeronca Chief 11AC. I've heard many good things about them, but one owner was telling me how unreliable the 65HP Continential is. He said that it could ice up at any moment
    Is this one of those "my wife is making me sell the plane so I'll discourage potential buyers" stories?

Small continentals can ice up but that doesn't mean they are unreliable. You'll just have to learn the various operating idiosycracies of the aircraft while slipping the surly bonds.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Is this one of those "my wife is making me sell the plane so I'll discourage potential buyers"
    Ha! Couldn't say for sure, but I've experienced that ice issue during cruise in a C150 once during the winter.I've been looking at Cardinals for the longest time, but I'm starting to become more attracted to the older taildraggers and I like the fact that the Chief doesn't have tandem seating.

The A-65 with the Stromberg carb had some problems with the engine quiting on final. Once I put a Marvel carb on and tossed the Strombrg, it never happened again. A little less drastic is to send your Stromberg in to Don Swords and have him overhaul it.If the carb is a Stromberg and it is many years old, it should be overhauled anyway. There were several different carb fuel float parts which were blessed and then unblessed. The pointed part which shut off the fuel when the bowl was full went from something I don't remember, to stainless steel, to delrin. Give Don a call and let him make you smart before you spend any money.Google Don's Dream Machines...Sorry about the formatting. This site is not IPAD friendly.Pete

One other thing you might consider - a wood propeller on a 65HP Chief doesn't have the mass of a metal propeller. If the carb does ice up and the engine quits, and you are in the pattern flying slow, the propeller may not windmill making restart impossible. As stated above, liberal use of carburetor heat at or below 2000 RPM usually takes care of carb ice. Good luck.
    -Joel Marketello

Flying a Chief

mjr,

I don't want to sway you against the sage counsel of all of the nightmares you have been warned, but as an owner of a beautiful Chief for about two months now, I can advise you to not lie awake nights with horror stories beating on your common sense. Carb Ice is a very real thing but is not an exclusive property of the A-65 Continental and engine failures on final are also not the kind of bug-a-boo you should sweat in your aircraft selection. I don't know what kind of aircraft you have flown before but certainly finding one close to you and working out a ride with a competent pilot or ,better yet a tailwheel instructor, will give you a much better idea of what you are considering than any other approach. This type of aircraft has been successfully flown for more than a 1/2 century and they haven't all crashed and burned! My proof of this is that there are still some nice looking ones on Barnstormers and Trade-a-Plane or even the NAA site. Check out your flying mission and see if it matches up with a Chief. If so, take that trial ride. Soon enough, you may become one of those folks looking for more and more detailed info on its' parts and pieces.
    Good Luck.