Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Has General Aviation Missed the Potential of Basic Ultralights?

It is necessary to start young, before teen age interests set in. I think 9 or ten would be a good minimum age.
    If we are talking about when we can get someone actively aviating, I don't know what the minimum age would be. [I suspect your 9 or 10 year old minimum age would be to participate in all the non flying activities below. Which I feel should not be part of the organization for the reason I outline.]

As for minimum age for teaching via the single place training methodology, that would have to be established. The first rating would be a "penguin" rating, which is accomplishing all the skills that are part of aviating that can be taught, practiced and learned on the ground. There would be performance standards on these skills they would have to meet in order to move from the penquin rating to the solo stage. What age someone could join the organization would have to be established from empirical data. If the average X year old takes 20 hours to move from penguin stage [or never moves from it], than that age is too young. We bump it up because we can't have 20 hours of training time spent on the penguin stage for them to solo safely.

I have trained someone as young as 15 with the single seat training method. I don't think he was exceptionally coordinated or exceptionally smart. He seemed like an average 15 year old. I think he got flying after 3 one hour sessions in the ultralight. So I know 15 isn't the minimum age. I suspect from my experience with him it's at least a year or two younger than that.

The one thing with him is that he learned alone. If teens care share their training experiences and watch each other practice, they'll learn a lot better and a lot faster. So as the organization grows and as the training methodology gets refined, the average age of the aviators would naturally come down.

Start them on non pilot projects, kites and model airplanes. This will get them involved and teach aerodynamics and construction.
    This concept is predicated on the idea that if you can get someone actively aviating, that is what gets their passion for aviation lit the most. One does not need to understand aerodynamics to learn the mechanics of flying an ultralight. Nor do they need to understand how the ultralight is constructed. While there is some benefit to learning those things later, it is not necessary for someone to learn either of those to learn how to fly an ultralight.

To learn how to fly something, I don't need to know WHY an aircraft does what it does when I move a particular control. Only be taught what the airplane will do when I move a control [and then be able to experience it the first time safely]. Just as I didn't need to understand gyroscopic effect and why that made me able to balance on the bicycle when I was learning to ride one.
    First flights should be in kites and gliders. These do not require the large fields that are required for powered ultralights. Costs and danger are also more controllable.
    We never started anyone in hang gliders or gliders before training them to fly ultralights using the single seat training method. Secondly, the environment for teaching hang gliding [which I have done] or gliders is no more common than the environment for teaching how to fly ultralights. There are a lot more large fields in my area for doing ultralight training than there are hills for hang glider training or glider ports. Of course, that may be different in other areas of the country.

However, as soon as you start talking about learning to fly in a glider first, you are talking about dual instruction. And all the barriers to that, including the problem with developing instructors. We're back operating under the non-Part 103 limits of the FAA.

Transition to powered ultralights is the ultimate goal.
    We never transitioned people into single seat ultralights from some other training craft. We safely trained them in single seat ultralights.

The program needs to work with the AMA (American Model Airplane) clubs. They have a lot in common and older modelers will be a great asset.
    Other than learning some unneeded theory from flying an RC airplane, I don't see enough benefit for getting the prospective aviators involved in RC flying first. I also don't see what asset someone with RC flying experience is to someone learning to fly an ultralight. [Or why they are more of an asset than someone really good on MS-Flight Simulator.] I flew model airplanes before I learned to fly at 16. I don't think the experience of flying a model with some hand controls did anything to teach me the hand/eye coordination and the visual references of flying an airplane I was in. Certainly not enough to conclude this needs to work with AMA clubs.

This doesn't need to work with the AMA, EAA, FAA, or the old USUA to work. It would be great if they would support it. But their support isn't necessary for it to succeed. Nor does it need to be sought.

If you can still remember your feeling of accomplishment when you first soloed after 8 or more hours of dual, imagine the feeling of accomplishment when you first solo, like that little bird with no dual, after just working with the older, wiser more accomplished birds (or perhaps your parents).
    This organization would have dedicated instructors trained in the single seat training methodology. Knowing how to do something or having a lot of experience doing it does not automatically equip you in how to effectively teach it. Any parent who tries to act as their kid's ski instructor understand this. The chance that your parent will also be your instructor in this organization would probably be remote if it was using instructors that have been trained and have a lot of training experience.

Now, what if you actually built and test flew the craft you are flying? Would that increase your sense of accomplishment
    Not enough to make that part of this organization's operation in my view. The premise of this organization is that greatest sense of accomplishment, for the effort and time involved, is learning to fly. Becoming an aviator.

Building and test flying aircraft should not be part of an organization dedicated to getting more people flying. This organization needs to focus on one thing. Safely teaching teens how to fly an ultralight. If building the training aircraft attracted more teens to learning how to fly an ultralight, then I would agree that should be part of the organization's activities.

But teens are busy these days. If having learned to fly is what best hooks someone into the aviation community long-term, then teaching a teen the motor skills and whatever else is needed to fly an ultralight is what the organization should focus on. Every other related aviation activity [modeling, building, CAP, etc. etc. etc.] should be outside the organization.

Could a plan with that goal in mind easily built one aircraft per year and use the funds from the sale of that UL to help fund the program?
    It's my belief that any organization that could get teens actively aviating will attract sufficient funding to grow. The best training aircraft for this methodology [Quicksilver MX] can be obtained right now for $3K a copy. Operating costs would be around $35/flight hour. I know from experience that it doesn't take the 9.5 hrs it took me to solo a Cessna 150 at 16 to teach a teen to solo a Quicksilver MX. So this organization can create an aviator [in their soul] for an outlay of less than $350. Well within the budget of an awful lot of parents.

As for funding, it would be needed to obtain the trainer. After that the trainer is maintained and replaced out of the hourly rental by the student.

As for the potential of funding, there is an aviation simulation camp in FL that raised $41 million dollars before they put the first camper through. While a great simulation camp, it is still simulation. "MS-Flight Simulator on Steroids". I believe getting teens actively aviating will have a great deal of interest to a lot of different sources of funding once the organization can provide empirical data it can be done safely.

A chapter in this organization could be "seeded" with 3 trainers for less than $15K if they used the Quicksilver MX [of which there are 7,000+ stuffed in hangar corners around the country]. A chapter in this organization with 3 trainers could probably create 25 aviators per Upper Midwest ultralight flying season [and every season] with that initial $15K seed funding. Rough estimate.

My thoughts.

-Buzz
    Last edited by Buzz; 09-04-2012 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    If I recall correctly, that exemption went into place after I learned to fly ultralights in the mid-1990s.
    What was the "registration" you mentioned the 2-seat ultralight had you got dual instruction in if it was prior to the 2-seat exemption? The only legal registration it could have had was an "N" number prior to the instructor exemption.

Which would have made any instruction you got illegal unless the instructor did it for free. I don't know of any instructors that were doing ultralight instruction for free in N-number 2-seat ultralights prior to the exemption. All the 2-seat instruction prior to the exemption was charged for an done illegally in my experience.

The only legal paid ultralight flight instruction that could ever be given in 2-seat ultralights happened during the exemption. The problem the ultralight industry faces today.

As for your instruction and the other ultralight pilots you know that learned in the 1990s, it was undoubtably a 2-seat ultralight being used legally under the exemption. Part 103 went into effect October of 1982. The 2-seat exemption happened several months after that. There would have been no reason for an ultralight instructor to instruct illegally [with all the associated liability that entails] when the exemption was in existence.

-Buzz
    Last edited by Buzz; 09-04-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post

Yes I am!
    That is the way the pioneers did it and that is the way the FAA expects FAR 103 ultralight training to be accomplished. The FAA is now enforcing the ban on dual training in powered paragliders and perhaps hang gliders if they have wheels attached to the airframe or engine mount.
    This technique has been used successfully in the past.
    By the way, the instructor does not need to have FAA certificates either.
    If you like you can follow the thread “Learning to Fly Ultralights” on the EAA "Learning to Fly" strip.
    No that's okay, I was just making sure. Have fun with your endeavor, I wouldn't want any part of the liability in that.
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction

What was the "registration" you mentioned the 2-seat ultralight had you got dual instruction in if it was prior to the 2-seat exemption? The only legal registration it could have had was an "N" number prior to the instructor exemption.
    No clue what the N number was. I lost most of my logbooks when my apartment was robbed a year or so ago which is why I don't give a hard number for my total time (somewhere between 500 and 600 hours, maybe 700 hours on the high end; all but about 100 was in ultralights). I've flown in so many aircraft- nearly every ultralight I've flown has been registered so that adds to the mix- that I can't recall the tail numbers for more than a handful of them.

As for your instruction and the other ultralight pilots you know that learned in the 1990s, it was undoubtably a 2-seat ultralight being used legally under the exemption. Part 103 went into effect October of 1982. The 2-seat exemption happened several months after that. There would have been no reason for an ultralight instructor to instruct illegally [with all the associated liability that entails] when the exemption was in existence.
    I didn't realize that permutation of 103 was put into place so long ago but I probably should point out that my original instructor (in fact all of the instructors I knew back then) was a CFI. Not sure how that effects anything but it was a registered (N-numbered) ultralight and my instructor was qualified as previously mentioned so that might have overridden the "exemption" issue.
    Last edited by steveinindy; 09-05-2012 at 12:20 AM.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Not sure how that effects anything but it was a registered (N-numbered) ultralight and my instructor was qualified as previously mentioned so that might have overridden the "exemption" issue.
    The only way to register an ultralight would be in the experimental category, amateur built if it meets the major portion rule.

I guess it's a good thing there is no longer any record that any of this ever happened........otherwise we have spun in on the base to final turn.....

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    it was a registered (N-numbered) ultralight and my instructor was qualified
    Which is to say your instructor may have been legal to give flight instruction because he was a CFI but giving flight instruction in any category that 2-seat ultralight could have been N-Numbered in was illegal. So if it did have an N-number on it, he wasn't teaching you legally unless he wasn't charging you. [Which I believe is legal.]

I suspect the greatest majority of ultralight instructors in your area were operating under the training exemption. Maybe there were a lot of ultralight instructors in your area that were also CFIs. If so, I don't think that was common in my experience.

But it still remains that if they were legal [charging] they were doing so in a 2-seat registered under the exemption. And those aircraft are gone under the rule change.

-Buzz
    Last edited by Buzz; 09-05-2012 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Someone more knowledgable on the whole "N" numbered registration rules can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't thing a CFI could legally give instruction [and get paid for it] in a category of N number registration that 2-place ultralight could have been put into.
    One example of where it is legal is when the student owns the aircraft.

The issue is providing flight training for hire, which is what this would be otherwise.

The issue is providing flight training for hire, which is what this would be otherwise.
    No, our instructors were volunteers and part of the group. No money was exchanged for the training itself. We were kind of a loose confederation where we bought into what amounted fractional ownership of several ultralights. I'm not sure if we were counted as "owners" though for the purposes of the training issue in experimental aircraft. However, since the aircraft was not being 'rented' for training use, I don't believe that it was an issue. I do know that one of the guys in the group worked for the FSDO and never said anything about our arrangement.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    The premise of the organization that I talked about at the start of the thread is that it would be a 501(c)(3) non-profit with the mission of training teens to aviate. Instructors would be unpaid volunteers.

The organization would be reimbursed by the trainees for the use of the ultralights at cost. I believe that would be a "non-commercial" use of the ultralight if no one profits from it's operation. I would believe someone would need to profit financially for something to be considered "commercial".

-Buzz

I was referring to another post but they made a last minute recovery...