Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airports En Route to Oshkosh?

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN

Re: Airports En Route to Oshkosh?

After flying a Cub 550nm from Memphis to Oshkosh, I'm not sure I can remember all the stops!

KUNU (Juneau, WI) was our last stop prior to OSH. The staff was great and very helpful. Lineman (Keith) was awesome. Fueled our Cubs, added oil and fuel, correctly and about anything else we needed. He was knowledgeable and careful. Inside, they had a spread of cold cuts and sandwich makings and were selling ice cold 20oz softdrinks for $2 or water for $1. Fuel price was around $5.50, don't recall exactly.

They also had a laptop out of folks to check weather or read the OSH Notam.

My brother accidentally left his iPad laying on a table at the FBO. Keith brought it up and delivered it the next day. I ran into him later at the Steve Miller concert and we BS'd for several minutes. He is a young guy and loves aviation and it showed.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Quote Originally Posted by N222AB View Post
    I stopped at Yankton, SD (KYKN) on the way out. There was no fuel discount as in past years since the city took over the FBO. The local EAA chapter had hot dogs and the chapter president was assisting at the self serve fuel island. Not nearly as welcoming as before.

On the way back, I stopped at Sioux Falls, SD (KFSD), as we have many times before. The FBO is very nice, with all the normal services, plus, a 50 cent a gallon fuel discount if you were on your way to or from OSH. I don't remember seeing that published anywhere. Also, they will call in an order to the local sub shop if you want and the food will be there by the time you get done with your briefing. What impressed me the most, though, is that yesterday I received a long handwritten card thanking me for my business. When was the last time you got a two page handwritten thank you card from anyone for patronizing a business?
    We stopped there too... Great guys /gals, got the discount and after seeing a million Jimmie Johns commercials the front deck gal made the catchy phrase. I will call them, they are freaky fast".. They were fast.... and the sandwich was GREAT !!!

On the way back we stopped at Fort Dodge, Iowa and there was a local lady who had a nice layout of sandwiches and snacks and you could just pay as you saw fit. She was about to pack up as we arrived Sun moriing, said it was not busy but then 3 other airplanes, all from Osh, arrived. She was not a pilot, but her husband was, but sadly had recently sold their plane as they were getting older and used it less and decided to rent now.

The airport had a bit of an underused look to it, there was not even the usual phone to call Flight Service, but the FBO let me use their phone. Maybe it was just Sun or maybe the economy.

Fod is a good stop , has 2 big runways, no tower to hassle you, and even commuter airline service if you ever really needed to get out like in bad weather. The great FSS office just behind the terminal closed years ago however.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-22-2012 at 08:16 AM.

The best stop on the trip this year was at Poplar Grove, IL (C77) - Great grass runway, and even though they were busy with Oshkosh traffic, the staff was really friendly and helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    There was a CAP plane there that I didn't recognize, it was sort of like a 3/4 size Caravan.
    Probably one of their GippsAero GA-8's: http://www.gippsaero.com/ZoneID=141.htm

The best stop for me was at Jackson County, GA (19A). I purchased gas for under $5.00 (I think it was $4.68).

I picked up a rideshare from there and dropped him off there. Unfortunately the price was so good, that they were out of gas on the trip back a week later. The Saturday going up there were people there and it was a pretty nice facility for a quick turn around.

I went to Kentland, IN (50I) also. The price was about .25 cheaper the night before but I arrived in time for a mediocre price. It is only 3500 ft, with quiet limited albeit nice facilities but I would be lying if I didn't say my dominant buying motive for landing is gas prices.

I think from now on I will call ahead on the morning I leave, vice a few days prior. I did that leaving Osh with the exception of 19A, because I asked them the week prior if they would have the same price and they said yes.

Biggest Lesson. It is probably worth a couple of confirming phone calls before leaving.