Thread: Same plane that got smashed up during Thurs storm?

Same plane that got smashed up during Thurs storm?

I wonder if this was the same plane that got smashed up by another plane that had broken away from its tiedowns during Thursdays storm? If so, 2X the bad luck!

Man sent to hospital for burns from rough, unexpected plane
    landing at Wittman Regional Airport

8:02 PM, Aug 7, 2012
    Written by
    Northwestern Staff

The pilot of a T-51 Mustang plane made a rough landing late Tuesday afternoon in the grass outside of Basler Flight Service at the Wittman Regional Airport, sending one person to the hospital.

The aircraft’s registered owner is listed as John D. Williams, of Geneva, Ohio. Williams is also listed as the manufacturer of the airplane, a two-seat, three-quarters scale replica of the World War II-vintage P-51 Mustang fighter.

The Winnebago County Sheriff's department said Williams was reportedly doing a "shakedown test," which is similar to a test run. Williams had had work done recently on the plane and wanted to make sure the plane was functioning properly before he flew to Ohio, the Sheriff's office said.

Immediately after takeoff, radiator coolant leaked into the pilot compartment and Williams landed the plane immediately. He was then transported to Mercy Medical Center for burn treatment.

The Sheriff's Office department said the National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration are following up with the crash on Wednesday. Williams is doing fine and his plane is still at Wittman Regional Airport, the Sheriff's department said.

No, not the same plane or model. This one is a Titan 51 replica, smaller than the Thunder Mustang replica which had it's canopy broken when a light WW I replica biplane was blown onto the 51 during the windstorm.

Both look like fun planes. I have flown a Thunder Mustang and was impressed. I'd like a chance to try the Titan one.

Thanks Bill!

You want to know bad timing?

The day that T-51 had its accident, the DOT was holding an Experimental Accident Investigations training course on Wittman Field.

How'd you like to crash in front of 30 FAA and NTSB accident investigators?

Ron Wanttaja