Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ice water at Airventure 2013?

I would guess you would most likely have to buy cups of ice, with or without the soft drinks, from the food vendors. Large, movie theater sized cups were $3.35 this year. For $2.95 you got a considerably smaller cup.

The heat can be nearly overwhelming on any particular day. While ice cold water would be refreshing I think just staying properly hydrated might be the goal on those days.

A hydration pack, Camelbak or equivalent, might be an option if filled with ice. Not sure if the effort of carrying it around all day would outweigh any benefit but it's a thought.

Plenty of cool to cold drinking fountains on site, I'll fill up a couple of bottles, throw them in my backpack. As long as they stayed out of the sun, they'd stay cool, possibly all day. If it gets way hot like monday this year, the beach isn't that far, and Winnebego stays COLD.

If you volunter, operation thurst would bring you ice water all day long. If not, I guess it all comes down to Pay $3.35 for a cup of ice or tote a water jug all day.

Here's another option: For my 16 years of AirVenture I have always made the occasional run to WalMart. It's within a few miles of the airport and if you make a left out of the campgrounds and go to Hwy26 then double back on the freeway, its a short drive.

If you don't have a car - maybe you can find someone who would head that way with you. During the show and out at Camp scholler - people are always willing to help out. Nine years ago I borrowed a hammer from a stranger, now we are like family staying in touch throughout the year and always camping together at AirVenture.

Quote Originally Posted by AzScottS View Post
    Here's another option: For my 16 years of AirVenture I have always made the occasional run to WalMart. It's within a few miles of the airport and if you make a left out of the campgrounds and go to Hwy26 then double back on the freeway, its a short drive.

If you don't have a car - maybe you can find someone who would head that way with you. During the show and out at Camp scholler - people are always willing to help out. Nine years ago I borrowed a hammer from a stranger, now we are like family staying in touch throughout the year and always camping together at AirVenture.

Heck, that's the main reason I go back every year. I go back to see my friends that own the campground (Sleepy Hollow Farm), maybe ask a vendor a question, I do look at some panels for ideas. I even look at paint schemes for ideas & such.
    If I'm not interested in somethhing or another........I go look at something else. To me, it's sort of worth $40, or whatever it was, I've forgotten already, to see ALL this in one place. I'd hate to imaginge what it would cost to drive or fly all over the country to see or find out all this stuff.

As far as the cost of food goes........I'd be willing to bet almost everyone on this board, with the exception of those with meddical issues, could probably really stand to go WITHOUT lunch. That'd be like a $10-$15 bonus right in your pocket. Or, for the entire week, that's free admission to the show.

OK, it looks like my best option is to buy ice at Walmart. Maybe one bag of ice would last a few days in a foam cooler?

Then I could fill a light thermos with ice for the day and refill it with the water at the EAA drinking fountains.
    I have been to Oshkosh many times and I drink about 6 bottle refills of fountain water a day. (I would not say that the fountain water is very cool). So I think the fountain water would taste much better with ice.

But my final question- would sipping ice water help with the heat much or not? Or just make it taste better.
    I just never tried it. The Merck manual says: "people that must work in the heat should drink plenty of fluids and mist the skin with cool water".
    I suppose I could mist my skin with ice water from the thermos also. Anyone try this?
    Just need to get through the afternoon, the morning and evening is usually quite pleasant.

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    My brother and I both flew our Cubs up this year and spent a fair amount of time sitting under the wings in our lawn chairs. I recall a golf cart coming by selling large bags of I e for $3 or so.

Fortunately, we also had a ground contingent drive up. We stayed in the Marian University dorms in Fond du Lac where we had a freezer. We would freeze several water bottles each night and use them in lieu of crushed ice for out cooler of Gator Aid. As they melted, we had ice water to drink. I'd typically carry a frozen one with me as I mover around the site. We staged at the planes and just left the cooler under the wing and no one touched it.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Frozen water bottle.... another neat idea, except I would not have access to a freezer.
    But that gave me an idea. Maybe buy frozen orange juice at walmart and put that in a thermos of water. Might last all day.

If you are camping on the flight line you will see the ice cart people several times a day. A bag was $3. If you are camping elsewhere the camp ground just outside the gate at the ultralight barn had ice for $2.25 and there was another place by the ultralight tie down area that had it for $2.50. I would suspect there is ice available at other camp sites farther north, we just always camp down around row 90. Best seats in the house, see everything and a lot less noise. The price of water varied around the grounds. L
    No matter how far you push the envelope; its still stationary!

I am guessing that the $3 bag of ice is the usual 10 pounds. Can't use 10 lbs.

That's why I started this thread. One pound for 50 cents ( or even a dollar) would be nice.
    A vending machine would be even better that dispenses ice into my container. Just an idea.