Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trojan?

Trojan?

When I opened this forum just now my antivirus said it detected, blocked, and treated a trojan named vbulletin_read_marker

I have never had this happen before. I closed the window & re opened it & this time it opened normally.

Edit - Check that. This time the popup window was behind the browser. I get the message every time I open the forum.
    Last edited by Mike Switzer; 08-24-2014 at 06:08 PM.

Which browser are you using? I don't see anything like that using Firefox.
    Bill

I am using firefox. It just started doing it today.

It did it to me this morning, too.

I get a "virus/malware blocked" notice regularly from this site.

Don

vbulletin_read_marker is not a "trojan." It's a small piece of JavaScript the forum software uses to support the "mark as read" feature. Your malware alerter is a little too sensitive.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Thanks for chiming in, Ron. I've never seen this script get flagged as malware before - as you said, it definitely isn't. I just ran vBulletin's diagnostics to be sure, and all the files check out.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    vbulletin_read_marker is not a "trojan." It's a small piece of JavaScript the forum software uses to support the "mark as read" feature. Your malware alerter is a little too sensitive.
    If so, then why did it just start yesterday, and why does it not do it on any other vbulletin site I go to?

Why it just started happening, I have no idea. Perhaps your software changed it's signatures it is looking for.

Unfortunately, there are gazillions of versions of vBulletin outthere and hundreds of add-on packages to the extent that no two vBulletin sites are the same. This one (as my site is as well) is running a fairly recent (not the latest 4.2 release which is 4.2.4 and there are some serious security bugs unrelated to the subject of this tread that Hal may wish to check to see if it is worth updating). They're actually up to verion 5 now, but a lot of people are a bit reticent to switch to that because it's not trivial and there has been some problems with it.

At least this board is a whole lot better off than POA or AOPA who are still running 3.x versions.

Well, as of this morning it isn't doing it anymore, and I have not changed any settings on my antivirus.