Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: converting an lsa to a ga

I don't think the Sonerai is the optimal design for IFR for several reasons, in my opinion. Weight is always an issue to deal with on a small homebuilt.
    Second, does a sport racer have the needed flight stability for IFR?

Fair enough. Can someone recommend a low wing, folding wing,towable, plans built that would be good for ifr? That can start life with lsa specs and later be upgraded later?

Quote Originally Posted by chadjensen View Post
    Fair enough. Can someone recommend a low wing, folding wing,towable, plans built that would be good for ifr? That can start life with lsa specs and later be upgraded later?
    Chad, if your mission profile is indeed as you describe above, I think you would be best served by considering an upgrade to a different aircraft when you are ready for IFR flight. LSA, folding wings, towable, etc are not usually associated with clouds, weather, night, IFR. The reasons are many and valid. There may be an aircraft or two out there that meets your requirements (I'm drawing a blank at the moment) but they will be the exception rather than the norm. If such an aircraft could be found, it most likely would need to be flown by an instrument-rated pilot that is very proficient and experienced with flying sub-optimal aircraft in IMC.

I suggest you consider many of the nice aircraft that are readily available for VFR LSA flight, then when you have acquired your instrument rating and have solidified your needs for a more advanced aircraft, trade the LSA craft for one that is suited for IFR flight. This path will not only promote your satisfaction with the aircraft but also contribute to your personal longevity.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

I was thinking about what Sam was thinking. What you list are conflicting requirements.

Airplanes that meet LSA requirements are wing-loading-limited. This is part of what gets them the low stall speed.

For a stable IFR platform, you're going to want higher wing loading. Not very practical to change that. Buy a PA-28-161 when it's time.

Though there was 1 IFR-equipped LSA being shown at Oshkosh. I'd have to go back through my pictures to remember which one. But I would consider its practical use to be mostly as a fair-weather trainer rather than something you would really want to be stuck with in the clouds. It also doesn't meet your criteria of plans-built (it's only available in ready-to-fly) or folding wing.
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

Maximum gross takeoff weight—1,320 lbs, or 1,430 lbs for seaplanes.
    Maximum stall speed—51 mph (45 knots) CAS
    Maximum speed in level flight with maximum continuous power (Vh)—138 mph (120 knots) CAS

Don't make a mountain out of a molehill, Chad. YOU will be the manufacturer. YOU, as the manufacturer will say what it's gross weight is and what the speed is at maximum continuous power. As long as YOU DON'T SAY it weighs more than 1320 lbs. and it doesn't go faster than 120 KNOTS, who is going to prove you wrong? Best of luck building your "dream". The first flight will be worth all of the sweat, blood, headaches and dollars it cost you.

Big Grin

So to recap, lsa is a set of specifications that an aircraft has that a sport pilot can fly. There are some aircraft certificated by the manufacturer to conform to those specs, but any aircraft(certificated lsa, eab,general aviation) that meets those specs can be flown by a sport pilot under sport pilot rules. And I can train under the hood for ifr in a sonerai but it is far better to avoid real world ifr in a sonerai as the plane is too light. Oh and we have an imposter chad jensen running around. :-DThanks for the awesome helpChad

I see that someone has pretty much got the right info, but for clarity: A plane that meets the regs of LSA (weight, speed, etc.) can be flown IFR & night if properly equipped. It's the pilot certification that must be upgraded from Sport to Private. No paperwork needs to be done regarding the plane's category, nor CAN it be done.

Also, you can't build a plane and register it as LSA or ELSA (may be wrong on the 2nd one). Registered as E/AB and flown under Sport regs. Yes, you would slow the thing down until Private ticket. A note here--- Sport rules do not say 120 kts max speed; they say 120 kts at MAX CONTINUOUS RPM. However wound up for an hour you or manufacturer are comfortable with running your engine, the resulting speed must be 120 kts or less.