Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tram suggestion

Tram suggestion

Use red flags for all northbound trams and yellow flags for the southbound trams. This will avoid confusion as the yellow tram line was eliminated this year but northbound and southbound trams were available for boarding at the station across from the control tower. I overheard several conversations between drivers and passengers along these lines:
    "Sir, where can I board the southbound tram?"
    "Right here. It's the one with the red flag."
    "You mean, like yours?"
    "No, we're going north. The other red flag goes south."

That reads like a Monty Python-type conversation .....

It's really only confusing at the tram terminals (both the one by the control tower and the one by the Hangar cafe) where essentially the trams stop perpendicular to the direction of travel.
    A big sign there that says "This side for Warbirds and north" and "This side for Vintage and south" or the like would cut the confusion.

Good job, tram people! Continuing the red line all the way to the N40 worked better than I thought it would. Good move, and thanks for listening! With that change, maybe there is no need for the "confusing" tram terminal near the tower. Just continue on north on the same street with a stop there for the FAA building and the new green line tram.

On that note, I didn't think much about the green line tram this year, but looking at the map it looks like another great idea. If I go to Oshkosh next year I plan to stay in the UWO dorms, and that green line would be the best way into the tram system (after the feet and knees give out).

So thanks to the tram planners, maintainers, and all the volunteers. Frankly it would be boring to me, but I guess some people just love to drive tractors!

I found the trams very easy to figure out. The direction it's going is the places it going to and then it turns around at the end and comes back. Really easy. The only times it seemed hard to get on a tram was on the busiest day, saturday.

skeeter

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    Good job, tram people! Continuing the red line all the way to the N40 worked better than I thought it would. Good move, and thanks for listening! With that change, maybe there is no need for the "confusing" tram terminal near the tower. Just continue on north on the same street with a stop there for the FAA building and the new green line tram.

On that note, I didn't think much about the green line tram this year, but looking at the map it looks like another great idea. If I go to Oshkosh next year I plan to stay in the UWO dorms, and that green line would be the best way into the tram system (after the feet and knees give out).

So thanks to the tram planners, maintainers, and all the volunteers. Frankly it would be boring to me, but I guess some people just love to drive tractors!
    +1 thanks to all the tram volunteers, planners and everyone else!

My family and I stayed at the UWO dorms and we used the green line every day. While it's a short line, not having my family (with 8 year old daughter) needing to walk it at the end of a full day was very nice!

As some other posters mention, having the colored flag onthe rear of the tram confused some, like my wife who was a frist time visiter to Oshkosh. She kept looking at the color of the awning, and not even noticing the little flag at the back of the tram. Why not put the flag on the front of the tram so you see it as the tram approaches the stop?

The tram folks were working hard and usually doing a good job, but using the same color flag for both North and South bound trams was confusing. One other observation, several times the trams were getting so bunched up they were like a trucker's convoy, i.e. as many as four trams going the same direction and all bunched together.

Next lifetime, after reincarnation, when I am emperor, we are gonna do some things differently.
    I get tired of smelling that diesel exhaust from the tractors so:
    Next time there will be an express tram from the north 40 all the way to the ultralights, and it's tractor will be Merlin powered.
    Ought to speed things up a bit as well as smell and sound better.
    I haven't quite worked out all the details of pedestrian safety yet.

For a little added spice, I may ask Patty Wagstaff to drive the tow vehicle.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-13-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Amen, Bill! Seems like the two most prevalent smells at AirVenture are diesel exhaust and port-a-potties.....

And, yes, there is nasal differentiation between diesel exhaust and Jet-A. ;-)

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

You learn real quick not to sit in the front row on the trams - unless you don't mind smelling diesel fumes and/or getting splattered with mud from those big tires after a rain storm.
    I noticed the porta potties didn't have that sickly sweet deodorizer smell this year. Kudos to the vendor.