Thread: new aircraft tie down in town

new aircraft tie down in town

just received my http://www.stormforcetiedowns.com/ from my trip to osh and other points west. this is lookn like a great solution to the tie down issue. will give a report when i ground it and give it a good pull with the auto. thanks to tom for doing some research on a well needed tool.
    Ed DArcy 'Turbo'
    R-44 N7511G 1,300 hrs / RV-6 N26ED 4,700 hrs / helicycle 100 hrs
    Stuart, FL Hartford,Ct Virgin Gorda, BVI

Did you watch the promo video they were showing at their booth? It showed a vehicle pull test that held for an impressive period, but ultimately destroyed the product.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Why do you think that destroying in lieu of releasing isn't a bad thing. Actually, I have some rather bent claws that held in 70 knot winds in Wyoming as well.
    It still looks rather heavy despite the claims. A friend had a real neat set of tiedowns that were essentially a carbon fiber hockey puck and carbon fiber anchor nails. Came from Australia but the company seems not to exist any more.

I picked up a set back @ OSH in 2009. They have performed very well as far as I am concerned.... and the price is right where it was in '09. Imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Why do you think that destroying in lieu of releasing isn't a bad thing?
    I don't. The OP said he would "give a report when I ground it and give it a good pull with the auto." My point was that this test would likely destroy his shiny new anchors.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Those look really quite simple compared to the usual "screw in dog leash" type, I think i might make me a set. 2"x2"x1/4" angle iron, some 5/16" U-bolts and some large nails.

Thanks

Yeah, that's what I thought Chris. While the claw has some cast pieces, this one looks like something I could make in my garage. I suspect they're banking on the "Yeah you could make this, but will you?" strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Yeah, that's what I thought Chris. While the claw has some cast pieces, this one looks like something I could make in my garage. I suspect they're banking on the "Yeah you could make this, but will you?" strategy.
    I think even using some aluminum angle would work just fine and wouldn't weigh much. it would only take about a half an hour to make these.

Still a great idea for a simple yet very effective tie down. I give them a thumbs up for the simplistic ingenuity!