Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daily Airshow schedules and updates....

Daily Airshow schedules and updates....

Another great year, but I have a question. Where is the best place to get the daily lineup and order of the airshow?
    Although I am there for the week I only watch the airshow once, maybe twice while I am there. Typically to see something in particular. The *absolute* best performance of this year was Steve Hinton doing an acro routine in Glacier Girl. Sad part is it was never mentioned in the Airventure Today paper, even in the airshow line up page. I saw it from my camp while cooking bratwurst! We went out and asked about if this was going to be done again, nobody knew.

Additionally we found out that the Tora Tora Tora performance would close the show on Friday. I assumed it would close the show Saturday as well, so made no effort to get out there early Saturday. Saturday it opened the airshow 10 minutes early. Case in point, Airventure Today (my main source for news during the show) is not the best source of airshow updates...

After returning home I found this link, which accurately lists the performers and order for each day. (The only place the Hinton P-38 routine is listed, and I say again, this was THE BEST part of the airshow for me and my brother, even viewed from camp.)
    http://www.airventure.org/news/2012/...how-order.html
    How can I see this link? Are others getting this mailed/tweeted/updated to them somehow? I do not bother with a laptop at Airventure, but would love to get this piece of accurate information daily if possible? Is the order set too late for publication in Airventure Today?

Thanks
    Jim
    Last edited by glider90; 07-30-2012 at 10:38 AM.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Hi Jim -

In previous years, because the air show lineup wasn't set until the morning of the show, we didn't have any mechanism in place to get the final information published online. The website just showed the general list of performers planned in advance for that day, and that was the best we could do.

This year, we were able to publish them on the website each day, and then summaries and links to the full list were sent out via Twitter, Facebook, and text message every morning. The links were also posted on the airventure.org homepage and featured each day on airventure.org/Live, which is our hub for our most current content during the week. I believe these updates were carried on EAA Radio as well, though I'm not 100% certain.

To answer your key question, though, yes, the final air show lineup comes too late for publication in the AirVenture Today newspaper. The paper goes to press around 6:00 - 7:00 PM the night before, and we didn't normally get the final lineup until about 10:00 - 11:00 AM the day of the show. The information that goes into the paper is as current as it can possibly be, but as you can see there's still about a 16-hour time problem.

By all accounts, we had a much more positive experience with the text messaging system this year than we did last year, so if you don't bring a laptop and/or tablet or smartphone, that might be something to consider next time.

Thanks for the feedback, and sorry if you missed out on some performances.

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Someone I follow on Twitter was posting a picture of a schedule that was in a display case somewhere on the grounds.... I didn't attend this year, but I don't remember ever seeing this in the past. It was very detailed - start and stop times for each act, etc. I'll try to find out from him where that was located and post here.

Thanks Hal,
    I will be sure to sign up for text updates next year. Also, if this is posted somewhere in print each morning, it would be great to know where. I will make it destination stop on my morning patrol
    ~Jim

Here's the picture of the info I mentioned. Thanks to @adamcanfly on Twitter. He says he found it at the information booth at convention HQ on the north side of Hangar A.
    Name:  Airshow Schedule.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  52.3 KB

Thanks KC, I will swing by there during my daily walk next year.
    ~Jim

Speaking of text updates Hal... Can you take down the signs with the out of date text number??? I was trying to subscribe and didn't realize until Thursday that the signs I saw posted at a couple of places were for last year (84444 vs 69050) so I never got the texts to work! :-(
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    Speaking of text updates Hal... Can you take down the signs with the out of date text number??? I was trying to subscribe and didn't realize until Thursday that the signs I saw posted at a couple of places were for last year (84444 vs 69050) so I never got the texts to work! :-(
    Hey Jim -

That was really embarrassing, and we're all sorry about that. Everybody thought that they had all been replaced. I'm not sure where that fell through the cracks, but that's a key item for our debrief this year, that's for sure. Our apologies once again...

Best,

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

Hal,

Thanks for personally responding to a lot of the feedback here.

About the airshow schedule, how come it's set so late? It seems like the performers are all lined up before hand for a particular day, so why not schedule them in advance as well? Specifically, I really wanted to see Fifi this year but there were no clues as to when she was flying (had to guess if any one day's "warbirds spectacular" is bird dogs or heavy bombers).

-Tony

That's a really good question, Tony - I have some guesses, but they're in the "not-quite-semi-educated" category, so let me get something more definitive.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor