Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh then and now

Oshkosh then and now

I went to Oshkosh for the first time in 2002. It was a magical week in an airplane wonderland. Warbirds flying by the dozens, crowded show plane lines, endless venders....it was amazing. I've gone back almost every year since. My dad and I have built a glastar since then and we are building a glasair 3 now. We have enjoyed the passion of experimental aviation for years going back to when I was a kid and Burt Rutan was designing plans built aircraft that made a child's head turn. Unfortunately things are changing. I have been going to Oshkosh for a little less time each year, and this year I aimed for Friday because I thought it had the best chance of having plenty of home builts on the lines and a good amount of warbirds in the air. I was sorely disappointed. How much of the disappointment is due to the economy I do not know, but the formerly crowded experimental show plane lines were fewer this year than any I have seen in years past. The airshow was sorely lacking. Warbirds barely flew and the airshow was just lousy. It seems that coordination isn't even there to put a good show together. As for the vendors? There were fewer than I have ever seen. I don't know if their costs are just too high now or they are not comming because it isn't paying to go. I am going to take a few years off from the show and hope things get better because this year I feel like I should have stayed home and worked on my glasair.

The Convention seems to have morphed into two segments. In an effort to make it a full week program, the big events seem to be weighted toward the beginning and end of the week. The traditional EAA member comes to see the new products and they come in early, so they may leave around Thursday. The people who are into the show aspects probably come in late in the week. Vendors may be spread out further from the core area, since larger corporations are in the central triangle. I guess it's tough keeping people, and their planes, for the full week.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd copeland View Post
    The airshow was sorely lacking. Warbirds barely flew and the airshow was just lousy. It seems that coordination isn't even there to put a good show together.
    This part really surprises me. We've been to AirVenture every year for at least the last 8-10 years straight and my husband said that Friday's airshow just blew him away and how he thought it was the best one he'd seen in years. Tora!Tora!Tora!, the Canadian Skyhawks, the warbirds, FIFI! - it was all new this year and fantastic.

I got to see all of that and more on Saturday, except for Fifi and have to agree with him that it was incredible. And nice to have a bit of a change up this year (along with some of the regulars), in my humble opinion.

Sorry that you are considering not coming back next year. I hope you reconsider.

Sad Where was Tom?

I missed seeing and hearing from Tom Poberenzy this year. And come to think about it, haven't read about him lately in Sport Aviation either. His Dad didn't even mention him at the Lifetime members banquet. Not seeing or hearing from Tom was a significant change, for the worse, IMHO.

OSH Airplane Parking Fee?

Is there a parking fee for homebuilt aircraft...not camping...just parking? It has been a few years since I attended the big show...been there seven times but not the last few years. Just wondering about parking fees in light of the increased cost of everything else. thanks

I'm responding to several posts in this thread. BTW, I just got home after 5 days at the show and had a great time.

There is no parking fee for aircraft. If you camp under the wing there is a camping fee.

My understanding is that Tom left under duress. No telling when he'll be back.

I don't watch the airshow - I burned out on them a long time ago.

There were open booths/spaces in some of the big vendor hangars (the A, B, C, and D buildings). The fly-market may have shrunk too. Not sure about that.

Still a great event, but much more commercial than the first time I attended ~18 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatFlight View Post
    This part really surprises me. We've been to AirVenture every year for at least the last 8-10 years straight and my husband said that Friday's airshow just blew him away and how he thought it was the best one he'd seen in years. Tora!Tora!Tora!, the Canadian Skyhawks, the warbirds, FIFI! - it was all new this year and fantastic.

I got to see all of that and more on Saturday, except for Fifi and have to agree with him that it was incredible. And nice to have a bit of a change up this year (along with some of the regulars), in my humble opinion.

Sorry that you are considering not coming back next year. I hope you reconsider.
    I agree with TheGreatFlight - I thought the airshows had the best balance of performers ever. I do think the high temperatures took a bit of energy out of things but there was something interesting for everyone in aviation this year. I think it just keeps getting better each year. Can't wait for next year!

Really like to extend compliments to the tram operations. Really like the new route structure. Yes, they do fill up at times, but it seemed like the next tram was never more than 4-5 minutes away. Nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by Vin Rampey View Post
    I agree with TheGreatFlight - I thought the airshows had the best balance of performers ever.
    At the annual meeting, Hightower specifically said they cut back on the number of "flip flop" airplane acts this year. I appreciated that - watching a half dozen acts emulate Shawn Tucker every afternoon got very repetitive. On the other hand, I'd rather see some of the classic aircraft do fly-bys during the airshow instead of a "tactical jet demonstration" or a flame spewing truck. I can see the tactical jet or the truck at a half dozen airshows within an easy drive every year. I don't need them at Oshkosh too...

Well. I enjoyed the entire week. I sort of burned out on airshows a long time ago also. I did sit through the whole thing on Monday & that was plenty for me for the week. One thing I really did enjoy the most at the airshow itself was the stock Cub & Stearman routines. These are simple machines that "anyone" can fly. Yeah, I noticed a lot of empty spaces & booths too. There was a lot of "junk" vendors not there either.<shrug>

I think, and so do my daughters & wife, one the most important things we get to do during the week is reunite with people we've met the year(s) before. Even though we stay at Sleepy Hollow Farm campground, we go back to see Jeff the good staff there & our new friends we've met there.
    If we all quit going, to "wait it out" for things to get better, it won't. We have to keep going & invite people, let the people know what they're missing. I know I'll continue to go, and stay the week. Can't wait for next year already.

Both daughters, ages 17 & 23 have already started the count down. Just got to find out for sure what the dates are.

I agree with you;Oshkosh isn't about jet trucks,monster trucks,or beer gardens,but i guess this the "new"EAA.Us old timers need to remeber the good "old"days.