Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Something Missing

Quote Originally Posted by orvie6 View Post
    The campground is owned by the Stadtmueller family and is at the junction of Waupun Road and Knapp St.. about a hundred yards from the Ultralight Red Barn..I belive the 'rent out' about 20 acres during Airventure..the open the grounds the week berfor Airventure and will allow camping into the week following the show..Look at Google Earth and you will see it quite plainly..
    I have camped at that campground and others including the old "Ollies Farm" which is now EAA security headquarters on and off for 29 years. The problem described of flightline wristband holders using showers without a camping pass isn't so simple and once you understand it you will see why EAA doesn't jump on this issue hot and heavy

1. You don't have to enter Camp Scholler to use a shower. There are at least 3 of them right on the flight line. Antique classic block shower, Hangar cafe shower trailer (a nice one) and the shower railer down beyond the end of the ultralight runway.

2. There is no individual camping pass issued for each person and doing so would be difficult as the number of person in a camping unit can and does change during the event. To add an additional layer of registration would require more volunteers and some form of enforcement. Would you station "police" at the showers on the flightline?

3. There was a time about 5-7 years ago (before they allowed camping under the wing in the UL display areas) when security tried to stop "outside campers" from entering the flight line gate even though they had a wristband. They tried to stop people carrying shower gear and bath sandals. Maybe they still do but you only have to go light and put it in a backpack. I no longer have to do that.

P.S. People use these several offsite campgrounds on the south end not so much to save money but because it puts them almost a half mile closer to their airplane or area of activity. It would be great if we could force them all to provide showers. The recent expansion of the UL camping area may help a little.

Thanks for the clairfication...and like I said in my orginal message...I am an old truck driver and my guest and I went down to the truck stop at the junction of 41 and 26... True..it cost us a few bucks for the showers..but had a private shower, take as long as you want (within reason, and not a long line wanting showers), plus was able to get a meal and munchies, and ice for camp as well.. I know about the other showers, and agree that it is hard to 'police' people using the facilities.. I am now somewhat disabled and the closeness of the camp to the Red Barn gate and trams helped me make my decision on camping there..and like I finished my post with.. WE were all there to attend Airventure...and my first timer guest and myself enjoyed the three days we were there..so the 'society freaks' that insist that if you 'dont belong in Camp Schroller' dont be long there!!, can find something else to b....h about!!!

Quote Originally Posted by orvie6 View Post
    Thanks for the clairfication...and like I said in my orginal message...I am an old truck driver and my guest and I went down to the truck stop at the junction of 41 and 26... True..it cost us a few bucks for the showers..but had a private shower, take as long as you want (within reason, and not a long line wanting showers), plus was able to get a meal and munchies, and ice for camp as well.. I know about the other showers, and agree that it is hard to 'police' people using the facilities.. I am now somewhat disabled and the closeness of the camp to the Red Barn gate and trams helped me make my decision on camping there..and like I finished my post with.. WE were all there to attend Airventure...and my first timer guest and myself enjoyed the three days we were there..so the 'society freaks' that insist that if you 'dont belong in Camp Schroller' dont be long there!!, can find something else to b....h about!!!

The showers at Planview truck stop are said to be great, much cleaner than usual camping shower and I hear they provide the towel. I have a few friends who go there and would never use the more primitive EAA camping showers. All of these are luxuries. I am a hardcore camper and have camped at numerous airshows and primitive wilderness areas where a sponge bath and shave in the tent is the only option.