Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Something Missing

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Fenwick View Post
    On edit.....generators must be turned off at 10:30p.
    Well, I guess I won't be staying there if i go - you need the generator to keep the AC running in the travel trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    Well, I guess I won't be staying there if i go - you need the generator to keep the AC running in the travel trailer.
    there is a designated area that allows 24 hr generator operation

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    there is a designated area that allows 24 hr generator operation
    Well, that is better. I have a whole different definition of camping out than I did 25 years ago.

I have a whole different definition of camping out than I did 25 years ago
    Having woken up to a bear sticking its nose in my tent one morning (obviously not at Oshkosh), so do I. LOL After that experience, I started using cabins and trailers and grew accustomed to the "luxuries" associated therewith.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

There is quite a large area that allow for 24 hour generators. There is also a 24 hour Generator/pet area. We stay in that section. The drawback is the 24 hour generator areas are all south of Lindbergh and west of 28th street. There were a few kids riding around on bikes and atv's but I did not see any bad behavior. I like Scholler but every year they keep raising the price for camping...in a field???

Regards

There is also now the electric and electric/water areas. Friends staying there said it was really quiet!
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

I've called Camp Scholler home for about 3 weeks each summer for the past 33 years of my life. Regardless of your expectations or definition of "camping", there is a place in Camp Scholler for you. Need 24/7 generator operation or full service hookups? There is a place for that. Do you want a quiet little corner where the only evening sounds are the crickets and possibly a snoring neighbor? That's available as well. Its a huge place with plenty of options.

I like to be close to the action, so my family (wife, 3 kids, in a TENT) camps near the main access road, Schaick Ave. While there is more traffic, I find there is less crazy drivers, ATVs, kids, etc.

Next year, ask around for suggestions on what area would suit your expectations best. There are several of us "lifers" that would be happy to help.
    Jim Gray
    Station Manager - EAA Radio
    http://eaaradio.net

Brilliant advice...IF you get to OSH a week before AirVenture starts! For people who arrive on Sunday the options are much more limited. These would be the sites within sight of the RV tank emptying station. And yes, I did ask for advice at registration when I set up. Now the areas beyond Elm aren't bad. A little far to walk for a shower, but the port-a-johns are plentiful and well maintained and, as I commented elsewhere, the shuttle bus is frequent and flexible with their stops. If I had a choice I would have chosen something much closer, but unless you can afford to arrive a week early, those choices are closed off. See the discussion about this in another thread on when to arrive to get a good spot.

As far those mentioning the "quiet hours." Totally meaningless if they are not enforced. I saw no evidence of enforcement. 24 hour noise and traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    Brilliant advice...IF you get to OSH a week before AirVenture starts! For people who arrive on Sunday the options are much more limited. These would be the sites within sight of the RV tank emptying station. And yes, I did ask for advice at registration when I set up. Now the areas beyond Elm aren't bad. A little far to walk for a shower, but the port-a-johns are plentiful and well maintained and, as I commented elsewhere, the shuttle bus is frequent and flexible with their stops. If I had a choice I would have chosen something much closer, but unless you can afford to arrive a week early, those choices are closed off. See the discussion about this in another thread on when to arrive to get a good spot.

As far those mentioning the "quiet hours." Totally meaningless if they are not enforced. I saw no evidence of enforcement. 24 hour noise and traffic.
    No intent to argue...but we arrived early Sunday morning. The area immediately south of Elm was still very much available. We setup only 6 sites south of Elm at 28th. This is the 24 hour generator/pet area but many there were without pets. The site adjacent to ours did not fill up until late on Sunday.

With that being said, I had hoped that an early Sunday arrival might get me a spot along the tree line/corn field in the same section. No such luck. Those sites were either marked out as reserved or had campers in them that had been there for days...next year we will try to get there on Friday...

The water/electric sites are always filled early. That's ok with us. We did camp in one during Sloshkosh but I think they are way overpriced at nearly $50 a night. Our friends always stay at the old barn campground at the Waupon/Knapp corner, right off the end of the ultralight runway. They pay only $15 a night with no minimum stay...no showers or fresh water/dump facilities. Every year I say we will look at that option but we always return to Scholler... but another Scholler price increase may change that view...

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    Now the areas beyond Elm aren't bad.
    This is true. If you do it more than once you learn to compensate. Bikes for transport, strategically block off ATV routes. Haven't had to "clothline" any ATV riders......yet. Don't want to be surrounded by 24 hr generators, don't need electricty/water hookups, just a bag of ice every other day. So the "field" is okay for what it is.