Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A funny thing happened to me on the way to or at Oshkosh...

A funny thing happened to me on the way to or at Oshkosh...

Just for fun, how about posting humorous things that have happened to you at AirVenture. I'll contribute two:

This year: As I was flying up just south of Ripon on Sunday, I heard the controller shift change at Fiske - "OK, everyone, welcome to Oshkosh. And it's OK, it's my first time here, too."

I couldn't resist, and I keyed up and said "Uh, oh". But, I gotta say, he did a great job (he only got tongue-tied once).

Two years ago, at KidVenture, we had two very polite young men go through Young Eagles Flight Education with their uncle. As I was debriefing them, their dad, a pilot, mechanic, and builder, came up and told me how much he appreciated what we were doing. I thanked him and continued talking to his boys about aviation and what their goals were.

Then it clicked and I looked over at the dad and said "Holy cow, you're Aaron Tippin!"

One of my smoothest moments, ever.
    Last edited by Bob Meder; 07-31-2012 at 11:20 PM.
    Anxiety is nature's way of telling you that you've already goofed up.

Monitoring Fisk Approach on the way in this year, things seemed to be going smoothly. The over the radio I hear...

"Dude...pedal faster."

A couple of minutes later, Fisk Approach asks a Bonanza if it was him asking someone to "pedal faster". The Bonanza replied...

"No...I'm pretty sure it was the Mooney behind me."

The Mooney versus Bonanza wars continue.
    Dave Sterling
    1957 PA22-150/160
    N6929D
    Website

So, after we get back and are having dinner, the trip comes up in conversation and I catch hearing my six-year old son carefully explain to my eight-year old son, "...the EAA is the OPPOSITE of the FAA."

Prairie Cottage Airport, 8KS8, Chapman KS
    In the shower house next to Vintage during the Air Show I am enjoying some privacy when a young woman enters and almost joins me in the shower. I explain it is the men's shower and she screams and runs out. Would have been a more entertaining experience for me if she hadn't started laughing as she made it to the exit.
    Jim Clark, Chairman National Biplane Fly In, www.nationalbiplaneflyin.com. Currently flying: 1929 Waco CSO, 1939 Waco EGC-8, 1946 Piper J-3, 1955 Piper PA22/20, 1956 Beech G35, 1984 Beech A36 & 2001 Vans RV9.
    You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, nor any before nor any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane, and men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others.
    - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
    In the shower house next to Vintage during the Air Show I am enjoying some privacy when a young woman enters and almost joins me in the shower. I explain it is the men's shower and she screams and runs out. Would have been a more entertaining experience for me if she hadn't started laughing as she made it to the exit.
    You're one smooth customer, Jim. Wish I could have had the privilege of meeting you this year. Next year perhaps?
    Dave Sterling
    1957 PA22-150/160
    N6929D
    Website

Thought that this was a funny sign. @ Hartford, WI on the way home from Oshkosh.
    Name:  IMG00266-20120724-1013.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  90.0 KB

My boss cubed (up 3 levels from me) elected to fly to Madison with a couple of friends and rent a car. When they pulled up to the gate on Sunday, with all of the air traffic, including FiFi, flying overhead, he asked the person directing vehicle parking if they knew of a good place to look at a couple of airplanes.

Then, as I was tying down in GA parking, he called me to let me know he was at the show. When I asked where he was, he told me he shouldn't be hard to find, as he was standing next to a Cub...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
    I have to agree with Treetop: you handled it well. I think I would have gone into Radar O'Reilly mode if it'd been me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Meder View Post
    I have to agree with Treetop: you handled it well. I think I would have gone into Radar O'Reilly mode if it'd been me.
    If it had happened to me....I would have instantly turned into Cliff Clavin....
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Fenwick View Post
    If it had happened to me....I would have instantly turned into Cliff Clavin....
    Great! Now I have coffee all over my monitor, keyboard, and desk...