Thread: Important pilot rights bill

Important pilot rights bill

Pres Obama just signed into a law a new bill on Pilot's Rights, that was sponsored mostly by Sen. Inhofe. He had recently landed at a closed airport because he was used to flying in there and there was a last minute notam that he did not get.

This bill gives pilots some basic rights to a more fair trial, like you would normally have in court if accused of most law violations.
    Previously, the pilot really had few rights, and the FAA was not like a normal court proceeding. For instance they took Bob Hoover's license away immediatly on a flimsy complaint and Bob had to flight for years to get it back.
    Bob is certainly one of the best pilots ever, with a great safety record, and if they could do that to him they could do it to anyone.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-07-2012 at 06:16 PM.

Sort of makes me proud to be an Okie. Having people like Jim Inhof around. He WILL fight for pilots every chance he gets.

Even though there is a lot of debate over Inhofe's motives in introducing this bill, I think this is a MAJOR step forward. As I said to a friend, "We now have the same rights that a felon gets in court. That's nice."

Very glad to see this passed and signed, particularly with the recent changes in "deviation" reporting.

I think this is a step in the right direction for GA. Does anybody know what this does for the Airline guys? I'm hoping they got some "reasonable rules" regarding rest periods between flights after the crash in Buffalo a couple of years ago this really needed to be addressed.

Joe