Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flagmen and Marshaller's Signals

I agree that we had a more challenging time this year parking aircraft in the north 40 camping area. We had a lot of new inexperienced and younger volunteers then the past. That just reinforces that us Co-Chairs do need to do better job at training and giving feedback to the volunteer. The first three days in camping areas is when we are the busiest and the most spread out over the field. We relay heavily on our returning experience to keep the operation moving. We could not do it without them. We do emphasis the importance that only one flagmen should directing the aircraft. All other need to stand aside clearing the area too many orange vest.I appreciate the input from all and keep it in mind for next year. A little extra training on the field can go a long way.Dave KleinFLO Co-Chair

Flagmen

Dave, I fully agree with your comments about parking and flagmen.

I am still upset about my encounter with a flagmen a few years back...the tower asked me to land very long on runway 36L, which I did. I went to taxi off the runway onto the grass but was directed back on the runway by a flagman who pointed me to barricades at the end where he had me stop while he moved the barricade and waved me through. He then stopped me and came up to the airplane and REALLY gave me hell for landing long, which I had been instructed to do.

I am still pis...ed about this...I still wonder if they guy was drunk or high on something.

I have a question for FLO (flight line ops)
    I was parked in GAP next to taxiway Alpha next to Bassler.
    Left just after 1PM on friday---little traffic at that time
    taxied south on Alpha and was dirrected west on Bravo
    I was then dirrected to the left off of Bravo onto the grass
    then taxied all the way to Bravo2 and then got back on pavement and taxied to Bravo3 for take off from 09
    The grass taxi way was a little muddy--but no big deal for the bonanza ( it might of been a little close for for the prop on a mooney)
    Question--while I was on the grass--not one plane used Bravo taxiway going either direction
    So why did they put me down on the muddy grass instead of keeping me on the pavement?
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfred View Post
    Dave, I fully agree with your comments about parking and flagmen.

I am still upset about my encounter with a flagmen a few years back...the tower asked me to land very long on runway 36L, which I did. I went to taxi off the runway onto the grass but was directed back on the runway by a flagman who pointed me to barricades at the end where he had me stop while he moved the barricade and waved me through. He then stopped me and came up to the airplane and REALLY gave me hell for landing long, which I had been instructed to do.

I am still pis...ed about this...I still wonder if they guy was drunk or high on something.
    Wilfred, I've worked that position multiple times. Normally we are crossing two way traffic on the north side of those cones, and an aircraft coming to the end could cause congestion issues, nothing fatal, just congestion. We also have direct radio contact with the tower and they try to keep us advised if the cones need to be moved. I've personally had several folks come up to the cones and I got them out of the way so we could keep traffic moving. The key is to be flexible and alert, especially when it is a 18 operation, years ago we had a co-chairman that wore one of those electronic scrolling badges saying "I am not the orange dot!"

Although I don't know all about your encounter please accept my apology for not being treated as cordially as you could have been.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Halloran View Post
    I have a question for FLO (flight line ops)
    I was parked in GAP next to taxiway Alpha next to Bassler.
    Left just after 1PM on friday---little traffic at that time
    taxied south on Alpha and was dirrected west on Bravo
    I was then dirrected to the left off of Bravo onto the grass
    then taxied all the way to Bravo2 and then got back on pavement and taxied to Bravo3 for take off from 09
    The grass taxi way was a little muddy--but no big deal for the bonanza ( it might of been a little close for for the prop on a mooney)
    Question--while I was on the grass--not one plane used Bravo taxiway going either direction
    So why did they put me down on the muddy grass instead of keeping me on the pavement?
    Kevin
    Kevin,
    Westbound on Bravo at 1 pm could be several reasons but my primary thought would be show acts coming from Weeks to cross at Alpha headed to show center. Some like Tucker get towed, others taxi. Bravo is too narrow to pass two opposite direction airplanes like we do on 13/31, Alpha, etc. Possible heavy traffic coming out of the FBOs could cause issues also, although that is a bigger issue for 27 ops. Another possibility (I don't remember the TODA for 9 to B2) is when somebody gets down and clears for the FBO @B2 and needs the hard surface. Think King Air, Pilatus, Piaggio, etc.

Without being there at that moment, I can't say for sure, but I've worked all of those intersections and as I said in the previous post, flexibility is important. Keeping options open is another.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem