Thread: Flagman saves

Flagman saves

A few years back I landed on runway 36, and was going to taxi across the grass at the end to get to parking, rather than go farther around by where the closed crosswind runway is. I was in a tailwheel airplane with no forward visibility.
    As I pulled off in the grass there was a flagman to signal me. As I got closer he was telling me to slow down, then to stop, even though there was no other plane in the way at all. At first I had some doubt, he was a new young guy, and I didn't recognize him. I really didn't want to stop, but of course knew I had to follow his signal which was to stop and no doubt about it.
    So I did stop, shut off the engine, and turned to the side to ask him why he had signaled me that way. I got out of the plane and there about 5 feet in front of me, just where I was headed for, was a small ditch hidden in the long grass. Almost certainly this new young man had saved me from hitting the prop in the ground which would have been not only embarrassing, but expensive. I said thanks and made sure to follow these guys in the future.
    And good procedure is, if there is any doubt, just stop, turn off the engine ,and then you can talk about it and decide how to proceed.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-12-2012 at 11:38 AM.